When my lunch routine is feeling a little drab, I like to kick it up a notch with this Turkey Avocado Sandwich with Chipotle Mayo made with new Pepperidge Farm® Whole Grain Thin Sliced Bread.
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY PEPPERIDGE FARM. AS ALWAYS, ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN.
Recently I was asked to my name my three favorite foods, a decision nearly as difficult as naming a favorite character on The Office.
I pondered the sea of foods I absolutely adore and decided to start with an easy one: Giant Bakery Style Chocolate Chunk Cookies. They’re classic, comforting, familiar yet decadent.
My second choice? Sandwiches.
I know, I know, it’s a bit of a cheat to choose an entire category of foods as your favorite. But narrowing it down to just one sandwich felt like cruel and unusual punishment.
I couldn’t bear to leave The Best Veggie Sandwiches out of the mix, and I certainly didn’t want Grilled Banana Fluffernutter Sandwiches to feel left out. And then there’s gooey grilled cheese in all it’s glory and variations. I mean, what’s life without the occasional Gruyere Grilled Cheese with Ham and Fig?
The truth is, I could eat sandwiches every single day and never get bored. The only problem is, sandwiches can sometimes be a heavy lunch. After indulging in a few thick slabs of bread, cheese, and meats, I want to take a nap, and let’s face it: the life of a work-from-home mom of two boys does not lend itself to mid-afternoon nap breaks.
That’s why I was really excited to try the new Pepperidge Farm® Whole Grain Thin Sliced Bread. It has the lovely soft and chewy texture of other Pepperidge Farm breads but with 70 calories per slice. Each variety is made with 100% Whole Grain and no artificial ingredients. With 4 grams of fiber in two slices, the 15 Grain variety makes a satisfying and filling sandwich that doesn’t leave me in a food coma.
A Turkey and Avocado Sandwich Recipe to Beat the Afternoon Blues
Part of the appeal of sandwiches (and why they made my top 3) is the truly endless possibilities they represent. All manner of meats, cheeses, spreads, and veggies can find themselves between two slices of bread.
I’ve loved many a sandwich in my day, but I return over and over to the classic deli turkey sandwich. It’s a trusty, familiar sandwich filling, and it’s the perfect base for experimenting.
With this turkey sandwich recipe, we’ve cranked up the flavor by adding a few simple ingredients. Sliced avocado adds a wonderful creamy texture. Gouda cheese brings a mild, buttery flavor to the mix. Trusty tomato adds its signature juicy freshness.
Finally, the ultimate flavor booster: chipotle mayo. This simple combination of mayonnaise and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce delivers some serious smoky heat.
All stacked up between Pepperidge Farm’s 15 Grain Thin Sliced Bread, this makes for one killer turkey avocado sandwich.
How to Make the Best Sandwich
Over the years, I’ve learned some tricks for turning any ho hum sandwich into a truly delectable sandwich.
- The spread. Whatever you’re using, be it mayonnaise, mustard, a homemade aioli, or this chipotle mayo, be sure to spread it to the edges of the bread. There is nothing worse than a dry sandwich, so be sure not to leave those poor edges bare.
- Use salt and pepper! They’re the most underrated sandwich ingredients around. Deli meat and cheese are typically plenty salty in their own right, but if you add any vegetables to your sandwich (tomatoes, avocado, radishes, etc), make sure to give them a light sprinkling of Kosher salt and pepper. It really helps bring out their flavors!
- Balance the fillings. If you’ve got thick, hearty slices of bread, match the fillings with thick stacks of hearty meats and cheeses. If you’re using a thinner bread, like the one here, go easy on the fillings so you don’t overwhelm the bread.
- Pay attention to the distribution of your ingredients. Ideally, you want a little of each filling in each bite.
With these tips in mind you’ll be turning every sandwich into a masterpiece. Experiment with your own favorite spreads and fillings, but don’t be surprised if this Turkey Avocado Sandwich manages to wiggle it’s way into your top three.
For the chipotle mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce + 2 teaspoons adobo sauce*
- Pinch salt
- Squeeze of lime juice (optional)
For the sandwiches:
- 1/2 lb. deli turkey, or about 8 slices
- 2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 8 slices Pepperidge Farm® Whole Grain Thin Sliced Bread**
- Place the mayonnaise, chipotle pepper and sauce, salt, and lime juice if using in a small food processor. Pulse until smooth. Alternatively, finely chop the chipotle pepper and mix it into the remaining ingredients.
- Spread the chipotle mayonnaise on each of the eight slices of bread. Top with the cheese, deli turkey, tomato, and avocado slices, and second slice of bread. Serve immediately or store in a ziplock baggie or airtight container in the fridge overnight.
*Adjust the heat of the chipotle mayo by adding more sauce or a second pepper.
**Choose from 5 Grain, 100% Whole Wheat, or Honey Wheat
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 499 Total Fat: 41g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 28g Cholesterol: 75mg Sodium: 1185mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 5g Protein: 17g