Homemade Chicken Seasoning is here to simplify your weeknight dinners! Mix up this simple blend of dried herbs and spices, and you’ll always be minutes away from a flavorful dinner.
Whether you’re making a whole rotisserie chicken, chicken breasts, or chicken thighs, this is the BEST seasoning for chicken!
I’ve been on the hunt for a good seasoning for chicken for awhile. We have plenty of chicken recipes we love (check out Sheet Pan Pesto Chicken, Mexican Chicken Marinade, and Braised Chicken in Coconut Milk), but I was looking for a quick and easy chicken rub that could transform any piece of meat in seconds.
Luckily, the search is over. This seasoning is THE ONE. It’s easy to make and perfect for keeping on hand for fast weeknight dinners. Just like my homemade taco seasoning, this has become a spice drawer staple!
Why This is The Best Seasoning for Chicken
This chicken seasoning blend checks all the boxes!
- It uses pantry staples. This seasoning is made with herbs and spices you probably already have in your cupboard.
- It’s easily scalable. Make a single batch or make a quadruple batch. This chicken seasoning recipe works well in big and small quantities.
- It works for any cut of chicken. This is a great boneless, skinless chicken breast seasoning, but it also works well for rotisserie chicken, skin-on chicken thighs, and even wings.
- It works with any cooking method. Use this as a baked chicken seasoning or rub it on pan fried chicken. It even works for air fryer chicken!
- It has amazing flavor. This seasoning is garlicky, herby, earthy, and a bit citrusy. It’s even got options for a spicy kick!
Ingredients in Chicken Seasoning
There’s nothing particularly fancy about this collection of herbs and spices, but together, they create so much flavor! To make the seasoning, you’ll need:
- Kosher salt- the foundation of flavor!
- Black pepper- nothing fancy here, just good ol’ ground black pepper
- Paprika- I prefer to use smoked, but sweet paprika also works
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried Basil
- Dried Parsley
- Cayenne pepper- This is optional, but great if you like a little kick. I have children who are sensitive to spice, so I typically leave the cayenne out, but sprinkle a little bit just on my husband and I’s chicken.
- Coriander- I’ve included this as a bonus ingredient, because I realize it might not be a pantry staple for everyone. However, I HIGHLY recommend picking up a box of this warm and subtly citrusy spice. It’s the secret ingredient that really makes this seasoning pop!
How to Make Chicken Seasoning
I feel almost silly sharing these “instructions.” Grab a bowl, dump in all the seasonings, and whisk to combine. That’s it! This recipe makes about 7 Tablespoons, which should season 5-7 lbs. of meat.
Storing Chicken Seasoning
The seasoning should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 6 months. Give it a good whisk or shake before using, especially if it’s been sitting in the cupboard for awhile.
The Best Way to Season Chicken
I use about 1 Tablespoon of the seasoning for every 1-1.5 pounds of meat. However, just like when you’re seasoning with plain salt and pepper, your eyes are the best judge. Sprinkle or rub the seasoning on all sides of the meat so that it’s evenly coated.
This seasoning is obviously amazing on chicken, but you can also use it to season fish, roasted vegetables, and oven roasted potatoes!
More of my Favorite Chicken Recipes
Need more easy weeknight chicken recipes? Try these!
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Spicy Chicken Marinade
- Crock Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chilaquiles
- Panko Crusted Chicken Piccata
- 4 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Store the seasoning in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Give it a good whisk or shake before using.
This recipe makes just over 7 Tablespoons of seasoning. A tablespoon of seasoning will season 1-1.5 lbs of meat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 8 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 606mg Carbohydrates: 2g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 0g