All you need is one pan and 15 minutes to get this Sheet Pan Pesto Chicken with potatoes and carrots into your oven.
I have always been a fan of easy one pan meals, but now that I have a semi-mobile baby who no longer naps in the evening, I’ve become more than just a fan. Now, I’m more like the crazy lovestruck tween hanging pictures of One Direction on her walls…only instead of posters of cute boys, I’m obsessing over full course meals made all on one pan with less than 15 minutes of prep time. One pan meals are my hero, baby.
These Pesto Chicken Thighs with Carrots and Potatoes are just one of the meals that’s been saving my life these days. The whole recipe is in your oven in less than 15 minutes. 45 minutes later, the dishes are done, the baby isn’t screaming, and dinner is ready to go.
Well, maybe I should clarify. The baby might be screaming, but it won’t be because you’ve been neglecting him while you try to make some fancy pants meal on the stove.
How to Make Sheet Pan Pesto Chicken
Strap your baby to you, plop him in the Bumbo, or throw a blanket on the floor and let em’ roam. Chop up some potatoes and carrots then whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and pesto. Spread the veggies and chicken thighs on a pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then give them all a good rubdown with the pesto mixture. Yes, your child will probably attempt to face plant into the dog’s water bowl right when your hands are covered in raw chicken juices. This is just a fact of life, and I am powerless against it.
After you’ve panicked and smeared chicken juice on the baby, all you have to do is pop that tray in the oven and you’re done! Feel free to remove all chicken juices from your offspring at this time.
I know we all love an easy dinner, but guys, this dinner is also crazy good. Bone in, skin on chicken thighs are so tender and flavorful, and roasting them like this gives them the best crispy skin. The pesto is the perfect compliment to the subtle sweetness of the carrots, and the baby reds round out the meal with their trademark creaminess.
This meal tastes like spring and winning. Put it on your meal rotation, and experience the taste of victory.
- 1 lb. bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 lb. bone in, skin on chicken wings or drumsticks
- 1 1/2 lbs. baby red potatoes, quartered
- 10 carrots, chopped into 1/4 inch thick sticks
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup prepared basil pesto
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spread the carrots, potatoes, and chicken out on the baking sheet. Generously sprinkle everything with Kosher salt and black pepper. It should look like a light snow has fallen on everything.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the olive oil, balsamic, pesto, and garlic. Rub the mixture all over the chicken and veggies. Place in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and chicken registers at least 165 degrees. If the chicken skin isn't super brown or crispy, place the chicken under the broiler for an additional 2-3 minutes to crisp up.
Feel free to use all thighs or all drumsticks in this recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 640Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 228mgSodium: 434mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 45g
Please note nutritional information for my recipes is calculated by a third party service and provided as a courtesy to my readers. For the most accurate calculation, I always recommend running the numbers yourself with the specific products you use.