When you need a fast and easy fix for a hot dog craving, Air Fryer Hot Dogs are the answer. This recipe gives you grill-quality hot dogs in minutes.
Table of Contents
Hot Dogs in the Air Fryer: A Revelation
I used to believe there were only two ways to cook a hot dog: on a grill or over a campfire.
Get outta here with your boiled and microwaved wieners. I need some char, or I’m walking.
Of course, then the air fryer came along and promptly proved me wrong.
Air fryer hot dogs are right on par with my favorite grilled dogs, and they’re even easier to make. The air fryer makes juicy hot dogs with irresistible crisp edges in just six minutes!
Six minutes, you guys! They’re done in the time it takes to set the table and grab the condiments.
You can even toast the buns in the Air Fryer! What’s not to love here?
Tips for the Best Air Fried Hot Dogs:
- Most importantly, start with a good hot dog! We love the taste and texture of all beef hot dogs, but use your own favorites
- Cut shallow slits in the top of the hot dog for max crispiness and flavor. I learned this trick from my friend Karen at The Food Charlatan, and it really makes a difference! I prefer to make shallow V cuts, but you can also do Xs.
- Note: When we tested this recipe with thinner pork hot dogs, they curled up when air fried. For this reason, we recommend cutting slits on both the top and bottom of thinner hot dogs.
- Toast the buns in the air fryer. Once your dogs are cooked, plop them in your favorite buns (we’re fond of brioche buns) and put them back in the fryer for 1-2 minutes.
How to Air Fry Hot Dogs
I assume you’ve already figured this out, but just in case, here are the three super challenging steps to making hot dogs in the air fryer.
- Cut shallow Vs or Xs into the hot dogs. Place in air fryer.
- Air fry for about 6 minutes or until edges are browned to your liking.
- If you want the buns toasted, air fry the whole assembled hot dog in the bun for 1 – 2 minutes
Cooking hot dogs in the air fryer really couldn’t be easier.
What to put on a Hot Dog
All that’s left is to dress up your dog exactly how you like it.
Sure you can stick with classic Ketchup and Mustard. Or you could top with chili, onions and cheese for a killer coney dog.
With hot dogs, the possible combinations of toppings are endless.
Love for our Local Top Dogs
Our home city of Columbus Ohio is an under-the-radar oasis in the foodie world. We have so much culinary talent here, a thriving breakfast scene, access to more incredible ice creams than perhaps anywhere else on earth, and if it’s sausages or hot dogs you want, Cbus is the spot.
- Carfagna’s – An Italian kitchen, market, and Columbus fixture. These guys have my favorite sausages for cookouts.
- Dirty Franks – A restaurant that is better described as a “hot dog themed experience.” Just about any flavor combo you can dream up, they put it on a dog. Also, it doesn’t hurt that they have some amazing appetizers like their tots and creamy mac and cheese
- The Good Frank – A small family business from our neighborhood that is responsibly making delicious sausages and frankfurters (even Vegan) by hand with locally sourced, quality ingredients. These guys are just the best people. Plus, they have really cool merchandise.
The Dog Days of Quarantine
Once businesses start to reopen, you best believe I will be ordering a “flight” of assorted dogs/sausages to spark some flavor inspiration.
Until then, these Air Fryer Hot Dogs are a great way to squash any hot dog craving.
With this Air Fryer Hot Dogs recipe, you can have grill quality hot dogs with even less prep and cleanup. So, parents/grandparents with kids who love hot dogs, maybe bookmark this one for a fast lunch idea.
And let us know in the comments or on social how you like your dogs!
- 4 Hot dogs
- 4 Hot dog buns
- condiments and toppings (optional)
- Use a knife to cut shallow Vs or Xs into the hot dog all the way around.
- Air fry hot dogs for 6 minutes @ 390°F (or until desired doneness)
- Optional: For toasted buns, place assembled hot dog back in the air fryer and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Customize hot dogs with condiments or toppings to taste
Our favorite toppings are classic Ketchup and Mustard,
or shredded cheese, onions, and ballpark (or dijon) mustard
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 550mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g