Boring grilled cheese, step aside! Make way for this gooey Apple and Brie Grilled Cheese with Bacon. It’s the perfect sandwich for fall!
Grilled Cheese Isn’t Just for Kids
This is not your average grilled cheese recipe. We aren’t talking about grocery store white bread and individually wrapped slices of cheese here (although those do have their place, don’t get me wrong). No, this Brie Grilled Cheese is sophisticated. Suave, even. It will make you feel like a grown-up AND satisfy your craving for a comforting, quick meal.
Here’s what we love about this recipe in particular:
- This apple and brie grilled cheese is super easy. Once you cook the bacon, all you have to do is butter the bread, assemble the rest of the components, and grill. It comes together with very minimal effort, but you’d never know it because the flavors are SO GOOD.
- It’s the perfect recipe for last-minute meals. Even if the day has slipped away from you and you’re scrambling to make a dinner plan, you can whip up these bad boys with what you already have on hand.
- THE FLAVORS. We’re talking mild and creamy brie paired up with tart apples, salty bacon, buttery bread, and a touch of sweet and tangy honey mustard. This grilled cheese hits all the sweet and savory Autumn notes.
Key Ingredients for a Fancy Grilled Cheese
The key to a fantastic grilled cheese is to use fantastic ingredients. From the bread to the apples, the higher quality ingredients you choose, the better your sandwich will be! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Brie cheese – Cheese will make or break this recipe. It’s called a grilled CHEESE, after all! I’m a big fan of brie, and it really gets to shine in this recipe.
- Bacon – This one really needs no introduction. Grab your favorite kind of bacon, cook it in the skillet or make baked bacon (my personal favorite), and you’re good to go! It will add a nice crunch and more flavor to your sammie. Is your mouth watering yet? Mine certainly is!
- Apple – You could really use any kind of apple in this recipe, but my favorite is the sweet tart variety, like a Honeycrisp. The mild, creamy flavor of brie goes so well with the tartness of this apple. It’s a party in your mouth!
- Bread – Pick a good, flavorful bread that has enough heft to stand up to the fillings. I like to use country white, Italian, or my homemade Amish White Bread.
- Butter – Butter is a crucial component of this recipe. Olive oil, cooking spray, or whatever butter substitute you have on hand will not suffice, my friends. To achieve the perfect grill, use real butter and use it generously. That means all the way to the edges on both slices of bread!
- Honey mustard – And finally, the cherry on top: honey mustard. I’m sure you already know this, but not all honey mustards are created equal. Some have more spice, some are sweeter, and some just taste like high fructose corn syrup. For this recipe I like a sweet and sticky honey mustard, like Dietz & Watson or Woeber’s.
How to Make Our Apple Bacon Brie Grilled Cheese
- Butter the outsides of each piece of bread. Don’t be shy here!
- Layer. Top the bottom slice with a layer of brie cheese, a thin layer of apples, 3 slices of bacon, honey mustard, and a final layer of cheese. Sandwich together.
- Heat a grill pan (<<this is our favorite!) over medium low heat. Add the sandwich and grill until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Flip over, cover the pan with a lid or sheet pan, and grill another 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sandwich is browned. Serve immediately, with honey mustard for dipping if desired.
Tips and FAQS
How do you melt cheese on a grilled cheese without burning bread?
Ah. Tale as old as time. Your bread is golden brown, but the cheese is still frustratingly solid. There are two things you can do to prevent this vexing problem.
First, use low and slow heat. Higher heat will brown the bread before your cheese has a chance to melt.
Second, cover your pan! While you’re grilling one side of the grilled cheese, pop a cover on your pan to trap the heat and encourage the cheese to melt. If your pan doesn’t have a cover, a baking sheet works great for this.
Can I make an apple and brie grilled cheese with a panini press?
Absolutely! Just assemble the sandwich and then use your panini press instead of a pan. If you’re looking for a summer panini, check out my caprese panini recipe.
Can I make this sandwich with a cheese other than brie?
You can *technically* substitute the brie for any kind of cheese, but it wouldn’t be the same. The combination of the brie with the apple is SO GOOD! That said, a nice sharp cheddar would also work well here.
If you’re sold on the brie and fruit combo, you can also try it out in this Cranberry Brie Crostini!
Can I make this vegetarian?
Absolutely. Feel free to omit the bacon if you prefer. The apples and brie are the stars of the show either way!
What to Serve with Apple Brie Grilled Cheese
When I think of grilled cheese, I immediately think of soup. If you’re wanting to have your own soup and sandwich moment, I recommend my Tomato Soup with Basil or creamy Chicken Sausage and Tortellini Soup.
If you’re more of a salad and sandwich person, I’ve got you covered! Pair this brie grilled cheese with my Easy Garden Salad, 1905 salad, or Creamy Caesar Salad for a complete meal.
More Grilled Cheese Recipes You Might Enjoy
Can’t get enough of grilled cheese?? Neither can I.
Fancy grilled cheese just hits different. This Strawberry Bacon Grilled Cheese is the ultimate summer grilled cheese, while this Gruyere Grilled Cheese with Ham and Fig is perfect for a cozy night in.
Want to use your air fryer to make a simple grilled cheese? Check out my crispy, gooey Air Fryer Grilled Cheese recipe. (You can cook this Apple Brie Grilled Cheese in the air fryer as well!)
You can’t get much better than a meatball sub…unless you add caramelized onions, garlic, and fresh cheese! Meatball Sub Grilled Cheese is a whole new level of comfort food goodness.
We also love this classic Mushroom Swiss Grilled Cheese!
Apple and Brie Grilled Cheese
Gooey brie and sweet crisp apple combine to make a flavorful and comforting grilled cheese that's perfect for fall.
- 5 ounces brie cheese
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- 1 sweet tart apple, such as Honeycrisp, sliced thin
- 4 slices sturdy white bread, such as Country White or Amish White Bread
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- Sweet and sticky honey mustard, such as Woeber's
- Butter the outsides of each piece of bread, spreading it all the way to the edges.
- Layer. Top the bottom slice (unbuttered side up) with a layer of brie cheese, a thin layer of apples, 3 slices of bacon, honey mustard, and a final layer of cheese. Sandwich together.
- Heat a grill pan over medium low heat. Add the sandwich and grill until the bottom side is browned, about 3-4 minutes. Flip over, cover the pan with a lid or sheet pan, and grill another 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sandwich is browned. Serve immediately.
If you don't have a grill pan, use any frying pan or a panini press.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 762
this looks similar to the Katalina sammy! NICE!