White Chocolate Popcorn
If you’re looking for a new snack to enjoy on movie night, look no further than this Crazy Good White Chocolate Popcorn. Sweet, salty, crunchy, and chocolatey, this stuff is the perfect snacking companion.
White Chocolate Popcorn with M&Ms: The Ultimate Sweet and Salty Snack
Sweet and salty snacks are the BEST snacks, amiright? Whether it’s Healthy Trail Mix, Chunky Monkey Trail Mix, or Chocolate Covered Pretzels, I’m always down for a sweet and salty treat.
I’ve long loved tossing popcorn and M&Ms together in a bowl to get my sweet and salty fix, but adding white chocolate to the mix takes this snack to the next level.
Adding white chocolate definitely nudges this popcorn over to the sweet side, but it’s still got a delightful bit of salt and LOTS of crunch to curb any craving.
We’ve been having a lot more movie nights lately, and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to introduce the boys to this old favorite.
Not surprisingly, they LOVED it. There’s something about this combo that is completely irresistible. I usually find white chocolate desserts to be too sweet, but combined with salty, crunchy popcorn, it’s just right.
You can whip up this snack in less than 10 minutes, and it’s always a hit for parties or for a cozy night of Netflix at home.
How to Make White Chocolate Covered Popcorn
This White Chocolate Popcorn recipe is made with just FIVE ingredients, and even less if you use microwave popcorn.
Ever since Mr. NeighborFood got me a Whirley-Pop for Christmas, I’ve loved popping my own popcorn kernels at home. It’s almost as fast as microwave popcorn and actually a lot of fun!
That said, you can make this recipe with bagged or homemade popcorn, so feel free to do what works best for you.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 bag natural microwave popcorn OR
- 12-13 cups popped popcorn
- To make 12 cups popcorn, I use about 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil, 8 Tablespoons of kernels, and plenty of salt to taste.
- 8 ounces white chocolate chips or white chocolate candy wafers
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 small bag M&Ms
To make the white chocolate drizzled popcorn:
- In the microwave, heat the butter and white chocolate until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. This should take 1-2 minutes. Allow the chocolate to cool just slightly so it doesn’t melt the M&Ms.
- Place the popcorn in a large bowl and pour the white chocolate over top, stirring so it’s evenly coated. Alternatively, you can spread the popcorn out on a baking sheet and drizzle the white chocolate evenly over the top for a more refined look.
- Stir in the M&Ms. Popcorn can be eaten right away, or you can wait 20 minutes for the chocolate to harden a bit more.
- Store any leftovers (if you manage to have any!) in the bowl wrapped tightly with saran wrap. It will keep for about 24 hours.
White Chocolate Popcorn Variations
Once you’ve started jazzing up your popcorn, you’ll never go back! There are so many fun combinations to try!
My absolute favorite mix in for white chocolate popcorn is pretzel M&Ms, but you can also leave your popcorn plain or add one or more of these:
- Pretzel twists
- Coconut shreds
- Almond slivers
- Sprinkles (It tastes like Funfetti!)
- Reese’s Pieces
- One of my Homemade Popcorn Seasonings
- or you could even take it in a sweet AND spicy direction with this Sweet and Spicy Popcorn Mix.
Of course, you can also swap the white chocolate for milk or semi sweet chocolate, but this is one (very rare) occasion I prefer white chocolate over dark.
However you decide to make it, I hope this white chocolate popcorn becomes a beloved staple of your family movie nights!
White Chocolate Popcorn
Sweet and salty white chocolate popcorn with M&Ms is an irresistible snack for parties and movies nights!
- 8 oz. white chocolate chips or candy melts
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 3.2 ounce bag natural or homestyle microwave popcorn or 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1 bag pretzel M&Ms
- Pop popcorn according to package instructions. *See notes for homemade popcorn instructions.*
- Place the white chocolate and butter in a microwave safe dish. Microwave until melted and smooth (about 2 minutes), stirring every 30 seconds. Allow to cool for a few minutes so the chocolate doesn't melt the M&Ms.
- In a large bowl combine popped popcorn with white chocolate mixture. Add bag of M&Ms and stir well to combine. Enjoy!
For homemade popcorn, heat 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil in a Whirlypop or similar machine along with 1 popcorn kernel. When the kernel pops, add in 8 Tablespoons of kernels, cover, and stir until popping subsides. Season to taste with salt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
Please note nutritional information for my recipes is calculated by a third party service and provided as a courtesy to my readers. For the most accurate calculation, I always recommend running the numbers yourself with the specific products you use.
OR you could call it “Party in a Bowl, soon to by Party in My Tummy.”
For second-half of above title, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Os-CACRwM8
I can attest to this.
It is crazy good.