Easy to make and easy to eat: this Doritos Taco Salad recipe is just as beefy, crunchy and cheesy as standalone tacos, but in a veggie-packed salad.
This post is sponsored by Ohio Beef. As always, all opinions are my own.
Why You Should Make A Doritos Taco Salad
Here are three reasons that Taco Salad is the perfect food.
- This Doritos Taco Salad Recipe is a one bowl meal. It’s all in here. Meat, veggies, cheese, chips, sweet and savory flavors. Even if nothing else ends up on your plate, you’re covered.
- No matter what you were assigned to bring to the party, Doritos Taco Salad qualifies. It can be a side, a main dish, an appetizer, and the word “salad” is in the title. It is truly the Swiss army knife of the potluck.
- It’s quick and simple. The only cooking involved is browning some ground beef. The only other “skill” you’ll even need is the ability to open and dump the other ingredients into your salad bowl.
How To Make Doritos Taco Salad
- Brown 1 lb. of ground beef in a skillet with onions and taco seasoning. Drain and set aside, allowing to cool while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Add cold/veggie ingredients (chopped lettuce, tomato, avocado, kidney beans) to a large salad bowl and keep chilled.
- Mix together the homemade Miracle Whip dressing and set aside.
- When ready to serve, add Doritos (or Fritos!), shredded cheese, cooked ground beef, and dressing to the salad bowl and mix together.
- Serve and enjoy!
Make Taco Salad Ahead of Time?
You can make Taco Salad ahead of time. In fact, it makes sense to give the beef a little time to cool before adding it to the salad greens.
That said, to keep everything crisp and fresh, I recommend preparing all the ingredients except the avocado and chips ahead of time. Store the salad and the dressing separately in the fridge, then add the avocado, chips, and dressing right before serving.
What Dressing for Taco Salad?
Traditionally Catalina or French dressing is used on a Fritos taco salad. I’ve even seen Ranch or Avocado Ranch used to great effect. (See Chik-fil-a Southwest Tortilla Salad Dressing. Yum).
However, the Doritos Taco Salad I grew up eating was smothered in a sweet Miracle Whip dressing. It’s unorthodox, but the tangy zip really works here.
The recipe in my old church cookbook uses a combo of Miracle Whip, more sugar than I care to mention, and taco seasoning. I’ve changed it up by lowering the sugar and adding a squeeze of lime juice and hot sauce.
Even if you’re weirded out by Miracle Whip, I encourage you to give it a try! It combines sweet, tangy, and spicy in just the right creamy base without muddying up the salad by making everything soggy (the way that a bottled French dressing can).
Substitutions, Tips, and Variations
Just like the tacos that this Doritos Taco Salad recipe takes its inspiration from, there are myriad ways to customize and reconfigure this dish to meet your tastes.
- You can use romaine, iceberg, or any blend of crisp greens to add interest to the “salad” component.
- Any type of cheese can be added in shredded or cubed form.
- If the kidney beans aren’t your favorite legume, pinto or black beans (also drained and rinsed) would substitute nicely.
- And of course you can always jazz things up in the veggie department by adding some chopped peppers, red onion, green chilies or chopped cilantro.
- I like this salad with both Fritos and Doritos and usually switch it up based on my mood. I prefer Nacho Cheese Doritos, but feel free to use Cool Ranch Doritos if you prefer.
Buying Ground Beef
Ground beef can be used in a variety of dishes, making it a family favorite. When purchasing, be sure to select ground beef that:
- has a bright red color
- is firm to the touch
- and doesn’t have excessive liquid in the package.
Store ground beef in your refrigerator for 1-2 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Visit www.OhioBeef.org, and follow the Ohio Beef Council on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for beef nutrition facts, cooking tips, recipes and to meet Ohio’s beef farming families. Use #OhioBeef to share photos of your healthy meals this school year!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1 head lettuce or about 6 cups chopped mixed lettuces
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 large bag Doritos or Fritos
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1-2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, combine the ground beef and onions. Saute until beef is browned and onions are softened. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and salt and pepper to taste (if needed). Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. Whisk together Miracle Whip, sour cream, taco seasoning, sugar, and hot sauce.
- In a bowl, combine the lettuce, avocado, tomato, beans, cheese, beef mixture, and chips.
- Add the dressing and stir together until combined. Serve immediately.
To make taco salad ahead of time, prepare all ingredients except the avocado and chips and refrigerate (with dressing in its own container) for up to 24 hours. Right before serving, add the avocado, chips and dressing, and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 795mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 11gSugar: 10gProtein: 30g
Please note nutritional information for my recipes is calculated by a third party service and provided as a courtesy to my readers. For the most accurate calculation, I always recommend running the numbers yourself with the specific products you use.
Other Taco Favorites
Try my other great taco recipes:
- Walking Tacos are portable tacos, served in the chip bag!
- Speaking of portable, this Mason Jar Chicken Taco Salad is great for a packed lunch or picnic.
- Make up a whole sheet of these Sheet Pan Shrimp Tacos.
- Get your Taco Fix in burger form with my Taco Burgers Recipe!
- Tots and Tacos combine to form this zesty Taco Tater Tot Casserole.
Need a dipping sauce that pairs perfectly with any of these delicious taco treats? Try this Avocado Cilantro Crema!