I cannot express to you how creamy, smooth, lovely, dreamy, and utterly divine this hummus is. It’s rich and luxurious with the perfect balance of lemon and garlic.

How To Make Ultra Smooth, Creamy Hummus |

Alright everybody. Take a deep breath.

Here’s the long, drawn out, overly dramatic story about how I finally discovered the perfect, ultimate, ultra creamy homemade hummus. (Hey, I just want you all to be prepared for what’s coming).

Many many moons ago, I decided it was time for me to start making my own hummus. The Mr. and I go through a tub of hummus every week, and I was trying to see if there was a more budget friendly way to fuel our addiction.

Plus, I thought, it’s just some beans and tahini. How hard could it really be?

So I did what any good 21st century American does and googled the recipe. I picked one of the first ones I looked at and went to work.

It was easy alright. Just dump the beans and tahini in the blender with some salt and olive oil and voila!…homemade hummus.

How To Make Ultra Smooth, Creamy Hummus |

The problem was, it wasn’t very good hummus.

The texture was grainy, it was too thick, and it didn’t have a lot of flavor. It tasted like I just mashed up a bunch of garbanzo beans and called it a day. (Which is, in fact, basically what I did…shocking that it lacked flavor, huh?)

Anyway, that first experience kind of ruined me to homemade hummus. I swore I would never waste my time on that again. And for years, YEARS now, I haven’t. My carrot sticks and pita chips have been perfectly content with their creamy, store bought Sabra hummus.

But then.

When you read a lot of food blogs there’s always a “but then.”

But then I started seeing homemade hummus everywhere on my favorite food blogs. They told me there was a secret. One simple step that separated smashed bean hummus from the silky smooth hummus of my dreams.

How To Make Ultra Smooth, Creamy Hummus |

That step was skinning the beans.

That’s right. These crazy people wanted me to take the weird, freaky looking skin skeleton off of each and every one of those garbanzo beans before putting them in the blender.

Ummmmm, no thanks!, I said. I’ve got way better things to do than sit around and pop skins off of beans.

But then.

I read Smitten Kitchen’s post, “Ethereally Smooth Hummus,” and I finally broke. Her description was so luscious, her pictures so perfect, I could no longer resist. I wanted, no needed, that hummus in my life.

So I did it. I skinned the beans. And yes, it was somewhat tedious and awkward. Yes, it took me a total of 20 minutes just to do that one step. (It takes Deb only 9. Turns out I’m a pretty darned SLOW bean skinner. I’m hoping practice will improve my speed and soon I’ll have mad bean skinning skillzz.)

How To Make Ultra Smooth, Creamy Hummus |

Thankfully, skinning beans takes very little brain power, so you could use this time to multitask with all sorts of other important things like:

Better yet,  get someone else to skin the beans for you! I mean, don’t people have kids just so they don’t have to do jobs like this??

Whatever way you choose to get the job done, just do it. It’s worth every last minute you’ll spend.

Because once all the creepy exo skeletons are thrown away, you’re only minutes from THE BEST HUMMUS EVER.

How to Make Ultra Smooth Creamy Hummus |

No joke, guys. I cannot express to you how creamy, smooth, lovely, dreamy, and utterly divine this stuff is. It’s rich and luxurious with the perfect balance of lemon and garlic.

Since I don’t have a food processor, I used my blender to whip this up. It worked just fine, and I promise you, I’ve never worked harder to get every last drop out of my blender. If I could have reached, I might have attempted to lick the blades.

It’s that good.

How to Make Ultra Smooth Homemade Hummus...or The Hummus Dreams Are Made Of)
  • 1 15 ounce can chickpeas
  • ½ cup tahini paste
  • Juice of ½ a lemon
  • 2 small cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • ¾ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
  • Reserved chickpea water from the can
  • Olive oil, parsley, paprika for serving
  1. Drain the chickpeas, reserving the juice in a small cup.
  2. Remove the skins from the chickpeas. I find the easiest way to do this is to pinch the chickpeas between your thumb and forefinger, with the pointy side facing your hand. Squeeze the chickpea and the skin should pop right off. Place the skinned chickpea in the blender, and the skins in the trash.
  3. Once all the chickpeas are skinned and in the blender (or food processor), pulse until the chickpeas are in sandy looking crumbles. You may need to stop and shake the blender and/or scrape down the sides a few time.
  4. Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and salt, and blend until smooth, scraping the bowl as needed.
  5. Slowly add the chickpea water to the mix until the mixture can blend without catching and is completely smooth. I usually use nearly all of the reserved water.
  6. I like to chill the hummus for an hour or so. To serve, top with olive oil, parsley, and sprinkle with paprika.

Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Some of the links above are affiliate links. If you click on them and purchase, I will receive a percentage of the profits.

Looking for more Mediterranean favorites? Try these!

Classic Tabbouleh Salad

Tabbouleh Salad Recipe from

Beef Kafta with Tahini Sauce

Beef Kafta Pita With Tahini from

Spicy Turkish Ezme Salad

Spicy Turkish Ezme Salad from

• Christine August 10, 2013, 4:49 PM

very interesting tip! I used to push my hummus through a tamis after it’s blended to give it extra creamy texture. I’ll try peeling the skins next time!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood August 13, 2013, 5:08 PM

I’d love to hear how the methods compare. I’m always up for a new trick. 🙂

• MickyD April 2, 2014, 7:12 PM

Is it possible that the skins also change the flavor a bit and maybe by removing them you eliminate a slight but undesirable flavor in addition to that texture? I was on the same path as you. Tried recipes and they were never right. In addition to the coarse texture they seemed to have a vague overly earthy flavor. But we also devour mass quantities of Sabra. But then I saw this article, so here I go to skin beans.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 2, 2014, 8:18 PM

I definitely think that’s possible! I love the flavor with the skinned beans and I still think it’s different than even a great food processor version with the skins on. We love Sabra as well, but I actually think this homemade version is better! I’m excited to hear what you think!

• Janessa August 26, 2014, 1:40 AM

Ah Ha! Alas! I will join the slow bean skinning club! Didn’t think anything would ever compare to Sabre. Your pictures are so pretty! What’s your trick? Food photography can be so tough. What do you use for that perfect white background?

• Courtney @ Neighborfood August 26, 2014, 2:11 PM

Glad to have you in the club! As far as the pictures go, the only trick I have is practice. 🙂 It’s taken me a long time to get this far, and sometimes I’m still frustrated with my photos, but I keep plugging away. I look at other pictures I like a lot, and just take a ton of photos. The more I practice, the easier it gets! I use thick white poster board or foam core for my backgrounds and reflectors!

• Janet August 11, 2013, 4:59 PM

You don’t need to skin the chickpeas — Cooks Illustrated has a recipe and technique using a food processor that produces incredibly smooth and creamy hummus. You add the lemon juice and water, and the tahini and olive oil in separate batches.

• Jennifer August 11, 2013, 11:57 PM

I recently tried the recipe for hummus given in Jerusalem, and it is incredibly creamy without skinning the beans. Instead, they have you cook the dried beans in a bit of baking soda, which weakens the skins considerably and makes them blend up easily. Maybe give it a try to save time? I couldn’t imagine skinning all those beans.

• Angie@Angie's Recipes August 12, 2013, 12:16 AM

This looks incredibly smooth and creamy!

• DarcSwan August 12, 2013, 2:53 AM

Looks gorgeous, but I can’t imagine skinning all those chickpeas! I make sure the water is boiling hot while adding – this makes it lighter and creamier (although maybe not as creamy as yours!)

• Courtney @ Neighborfood August 13, 2013, 5:01 PM

Haha! I thought it sounded crazy too, but the time actually went past pretty quickly. You kinda get into a rhythm. I may have to try the boiling water trick and see how it compares!

• Melanie // adorkable recipes August 12, 2013, 12:52 PM

Your writing is amazing, C! Keep it up!

• Donna August 12, 2013, 6:01 PM

I’ve never made Hummus without Cumin, it makes a huge difference!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood August 13, 2013, 4:58 PM

Interesting. I’ll have to try that sometime. Though I really love the taste of straight up classic hummus! (with a little garlic of course. 🙂

• Nancy August 13, 2013, 6:42 PM

I love hummus but have yet to find good storebought hummus (each brand I buy ends up in the garbage. It’s never as good as homemade or that served in a restaurant). Nor have I tried making it myself. I’ll definitely try your version, and reading through the comments here is super helpful too. We should do a hummus challenge and find out which technique reigns supreme!

• Alyssa August 13, 2013, 7:05 PM

Saw this recipe a while back on FG and tried it out (I used canned chickpeas) and it worked perfectly. Might save you some time!

• Miss Pris August 14, 2013, 3:23 PM

Great tip and I totally love your writing style. Cooking blogs aren’t always known for being all that humorous, but I got a good chuckle out of this post. 🙂

“Dreaming of all the things you’ll dip in this perfectly creamy hummus […] *your face*…)”

• TwoPears Holistic Nutrition August 14, 2013, 3:41 PM

I dump all the chickpeas in a bowl full of water and rub the beans in my hands. This will skin the beans, then let the skins float to the top of the water and scoop out. Repeat a few times and your done!

• Gloria August 14, 2013, 11:49 PM

Your post cracked me up! I have had issues with homemade hummus before…will definitely try this method (even if it is tedious!). Sounds like it’s worth the extra work.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons August 16, 2013, 12:06 AM

Oh man, you may have convinced me. The hummus experience you just described? The failed, chunky, lumpy hummus followed by the amazing hummus? That’s happened to me in the last two days. I’ll explain:

Yesterday, I made my first batch of homemade hummus ever (because I’m with you, the store-bought stuff is pretty tasty). I didn’t really measure the ingredients properly, and it was terrible. Thick and gloppy. Ugh.

Today, I used a trusted recipe and actually measured. But I didn’t skin the beans. The thing that made it super creamy and smooth for me was that I blended in a few tablespoons of ice water at the end. Sounds weird, but totally worked. Plus, I just blended the crap out of it since I didn’t skin the beans…

• Courtney @ Neighborfood August 19, 2013, 1:26 PM

I am loving hearing all these different techniques! It’s interesting because someone else suggested using boiling water…now ice water. I think some further testing is definitely still needed!

• Ben August 26, 2013, 6:11 PM

I’m with Janet. I always use a food processor without skinning the beans and it comes out great every time. Of course I’ve moved on to experimenting with different spices but food processor is the key to quick an easy hummus.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood October 20, 2013, 10:44 PM

I would SO use this method if I had a food processor. Unfortunately, I’m still food processor-less so for now, this is what works for me!

• Jenniferesme October 20, 2013, 8:37 PM

Just par boil them and then roll a few at a time in your palms like dice and the skins come right off!

• Leanne Moynihan January 9, 2014, 11:11 AM

I’m from the UK and have no idea what 1/2 cup is in real measurements! What is that in grams?

• Courtney @ Neighborfood January 9, 2014, 11:31 AM

There are about 120 grams in 1/2 cup of tahini. Hope that helps!

• rezerveskaste . February 19, 2015, 1:37 PM

Can we please, please get the other indigents in grams as well? 🙂 As i understand the proportions are of grate importance… This recipe just looks so good, i want to try it!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood February 25, 2015, 10:26 AM

15 ounces of chickpeas is about 425 grams. As far as the water goes, you just add enough for the mixture to blend. Hope this helps!

• joemichaels April 6, 2014, 8:55 PM

Leanne: I’m from the U.S. and I STILL don’t know conversions! Your metric system is so much easier.

• Cindy January 28, 2014, 12:30 PM

Well, I have to say that I peeled a can of chick peas and followed the directions (a little extra lemon) and it was fabulous, and totally worth the 10 or so minutes it took to pop the skins off. I will try other ways of getting the skins off, but I’ve had (so called great hummus) that was not smooth like it is when the skins are removed. Thanks for the tip!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood February 1, 2014, 10:49 PM

I’m glad it worked for you! It’s definitely been the most reliable technique for ultra smooth hummus I’ve ever used. Thanks for taking the time to come back and let me know!

• Susan Pridmore February 3, 2014, 1:27 AM

This looks so inviting!! I saw the photo when I was commenting on your #SS post just now, and had to check it out. I made hummus for today’s post – my first ever – and I’m trying to pick up different ideas around making it now. I’d never thought of skinning them!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood February 4, 2014, 11:30 AM

As you can see, there are tons of tips even right here in the comments! It seems everyone has a favorite way of making hummus. To me, this is still the smoothest I have ever been able to get. It takes a little more work, but it’s always been worth it for me.

• Alanna February 26, 2014, 3:22 PM

So, just judging by the picture alone, I thought, I NEED that hummus. My recipe is pretty darn good, but it doesn’t look anything like that creamy mass of goodness I see in that picture. I went ahead and did a head to head combat: your recipe vs mine. Well, to be honest, I did skin my chickpeas first, which I don’t normally do. Man oh man, it made all the difference in the world. I was licking the bowl and my fingers like a savage beast, moaning and saying, “This is sooo good.” My kids thought I was a little whacko…
    I’ve made it a few times now and I did end up tweaking your recipe a little, after I made it as per the instructions. This is what I did, if anyone is interested… I boiled the chickpeas, with the juice and about 1/2 cup water, for about 10ish minutes until the beans are slightly darkened. Let them cool in the pan with the liquid, for about 15 minutes, then skin them… (I love how you refer to their exoskeletons.) It was slightly easier to skin them after boiling, as opposed to skinning them raw, but it didn’t make a significant difference. I just prefer the texture of the finished hummus when the beans are boiled first.

Blend the beans in a food processor until crumbly. Add the juice of 1 1/2 small lemons, 1/4 cup of tahini, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 2-3 medium cloves of garlic, minced, and 2 tbsp olive oil. Blend until creamy, then add the chickpea water to the consistency desired. SO CRAZY GOOD!!
    Next time I’m going to roast the garlic first and see how that goes. Thank you for sharing this yummy bit of goodness with the rest of us foodies.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood February 27, 2014, 12:30 PM

I love this! Thanks so much for coming back to share. I haven’t found anything that produces the same creaminess, even using a food processor. I’ll definitely have to try boiling the chickpeas and adding some cumin next time. Thanks for all the feedback. I’m glad this was “savage beast” good. 🙂

• fartblossom March 9, 2014, 4:13 PM

I’m too lazy. What I’ve discovered is using half chick peas and half northern beans makes it much smoother, and adding a little water last in the blending stage makes a very storebought style hummus. Northern bean hummus is popular in low carb circles because of it’s high fiber.

• Stephen Eskoz March 26, 2014, 1:15 AM

I have to tell you, a QUALITY foods processor is the real key. Skins? What skins? They vanish if you blend it long enough. Sumac substitutes for salt beautifully, whilst giving it more flavor, and blending it WITH the olive oil made it nice and creamy rich. Your recipe is good, though, it uses the right proportions, and your photos are spectacular in regards to the presentation. Try it with a little parsley, & the real winner for me, a few roasted red peppers. Yummers! While I disagree with the main point of this article (and by the way I tried it and saw NO difference using the skinned beans), thanks for getting me on track to discover the true secret to awesome, better than store bought hummus!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 26, 2014, 12:39 PM

Thanks for sharing these tips Stephen. I also love adding roasted red pepper. I’m glad you’ve discovered your secret to the best hummus! I hope a quality food processor is going to be joining my life sometime soon. Until then, I’ll be stuck here skinning beans. 🙂

• Stephen Eskoz March 26, 2014, 3:35 PM

Haha, indeed. I’ll tell you this, though, if time is money, you can’t afford NOT to buy one 🙂

• Dominique May 26, 2014, 3:59 AM

You should really try Yotam Ottholenghi’s hummus from the book Jerusalem. It’s great, you will never make hummus with chickpea’s from a can again.

• Alice July 9, 2014, 6:47 PM

well you just single-handedly solved my hummus “issues” !!! I’m going to join the ranks of SLOW bean skinnerz – maybe there will be a post popping up soon about speeding up your bean skinnin’ skillz! : ) LOL! Thanks for sharing!

• Violette Tilley July 11, 2014, 3:42 PM

A trick we used in the restaurant biz is too roll them around on a cutting board and the skins separate. Much easier 😉

• flippa September 9, 2014, 4:48 PM

I love your serving dish! I think my grandmother had that pattern.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood September 10, 2014, 3:49 PM

That’s so neat! I found the dish at an auction, so I only have one plate with that pattern, but I love it!

• bird October 9, 2014, 3:24 PM

I de skinned mine fast by taking a small handful and rolling between my palms (canned beans). The skins come off fast. If you buy yours raw (bulk, hard as rocks), soak, sprout, and cook in pot of water until just softened (20-30 min). After cookkng, drain and rinse em and the skins are mostly off

• Sylvana October 27, 2014, 9:21 PM

I use garbanzo bean flour and olive oil. No skinning or food processor needed and I get tons of people asking me how I get it so smooth.

• Tamar Lundeen December 16, 2014, 2:25 AM

I love flavored hummus, not so keen on plain; I cook my own garbanzos, no cans. When they are cool, I fill the pan with cool water and gently swish the beans.let it settle down, skim the skins off the top. the skins float to the top. I keep this up till I have most of the skins. works great

• Lou January 13, 2015, 9:45 AM

Adding roasted garlic, or caramelized onion or grilled and skinned red pepper… Or all three turns this already excellent dish into an unimaginable culinary delight.

• Val January 23, 2015, 2:46 PM

How long will this last in the fridge? Granted, that might not be an issue, but it’d be good to know 🙂

• Priscilla January 29, 2015, 9:17 PM

Hi Courtney, I have never heard of humus till a few weeks ago from a friend. I bought some from a health food store. I thought it was ok since I never tasting it before. And not liking garbonzo beans. Well, my sister from New York was over and I was so excited for her to taste this roasted garlic hummus. Her face turned weird and she said “that is the worst hummus I have ever tasted.” Hmmm. So, after she left I went googlein’ (lol) and found some recipes. I made some. Oh my goodness it taste so good. So today I’m searching to make sure I find the best I know for my picky sister for the super bowl party. I live in Spokane, Wa so Go Seahawks! Anyway, I crossed your page and read it all and got a few chuckles as you talked. All this to say thank you for posting to peal the beans. Now I am excited to make my sisters day. May God Bless you.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood January 30, 2015, 11:30 AM

What a great story! I’m so glad you’ve been converted to enjoy hummus! I hope this recipe is a huge hit with you and your sister!

• Liza February 6, 2015, 7:29 PM

Agitate the chickpeas with your hands in a bowl of water. Many, but not all, of the skins will float to the top.

• Wendy Kenyon Anthos February 7, 2015, 2:31 PM

Made your recipe and it came out ultra creamy. I always use a food processor and no way it it this creamy unless you remove the skins. I had super creamy hummus at a Lebanese restaurant and I could not imagine how they got it that way. Removing the skins is the answer. Thanks so much. This is a keeper.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood February 9, 2015, 3:37 PM

Great Wendy! I’m so glad it turned out for you. I can’t believe what a difference removing the skins makes!

• CheriNZ February 15, 2015, 12:02 AM

Hi, made the recipe and was really disappointed that it turned out too “peanut buttery” tasting. I bought Hulled Tahini (there was unhulled in the store too), and used 1/2 a cup and it tasted like bad peanut butter! What can I do to remedy this? Is my Tahini too strong? I read the comments below and no one else has this problem, so I’m assuming I need to alter something… (First time Tahini user BTW).

• Courtney @ Neighborfood February 17, 2015, 11:17 AM

Hmmm…all tahini tastes a bit different, and since it is ground seeds it can have a similar taste to peanut butter, but your hummus definitely shouldn’t taste like peanut butter. I have noticed if I keep tahini around for too long the oil can go a bit rancid and make it taste off. Here is a link to the tahini I buy, if that’s helpful at all-

• Jessica June 26, 2015, 11:40 AM

Hi. I made this today and was thrilled with how creamy it is. However mine also tastes like peanut butter. CheriNZ did you figure out why?

• Courtney @ Neighborfood June 26, 2015, 1:19 PM

Hi Jessica, Just curious, did you taste the tahini before mixing it in? If the tahini tastes peanut buttery that would be the culprit.

• Suekie2 February 24, 2015, 2:50 PM

This is a most delicious recipe and this is the first time attempting to make my own hummus. Has anyone attempted to figure out the nutritional details of this delicioiusness?

• Angela March 31, 2015, 6:32 PM

I have made the recipe twice! I had given up on making smooth, buttery hummus, until I found this site, when I was longing for the food of Israel. Thank you for sharing. It make me feel like I am back in Israel again.

• NancieL May 29, 2015, 1:01 PM

Hey Girl Hey! I just wanted to drop you a quick note and let you know how much I love this recipe. I’m just finishing my 7th (!) batch of this and I’m telling you I will never use another Hummus recipe. Without fail, every time I make it, someone asks for the recipe (after they’ve gotten over their shock that it’s not fancy, restaurant hummus). It’s gotten to the point where I absolutely LOVE sitting in front of an episode of Real Housewives of (fill in the blank) and skinning those Chickpeas. Such immediate gratification – SO satisfying! Thanks a million for this keeper!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood June 1, 2015, 12:11 PM

Thanks you so much Nancie! This makes me so happy. Skinning the chickpeas is kind of therapeutic, isn’t it? I’m so glad this has been such a hit for you and your friends!

• Autumn Klare Wallace June 10, 2015, 4:17 PM

I remember reading a while ago the secret to perfect hummus was skinned chick peas . I thought it can’t be that good, right ??
    WRONG !

Your recipe is phenomenal!! So perfect ! This will be the only hummus recipe I make from now on !

• DisQusDan July 12, 2015, 3:03 PM

Just wanted to chime in … thank you for the tip to getting creamy hummus.
    Me and my family are eating this stuff by the bucketloads and every time I try it at home I seem to get the flavors right but the consistency was always what made it taste “home-made” and not what you’d get at the restaurant.
    Since I like to optimize things and can’t be bothered peeling every single pea, I decided to try the Fruit and Vegetable Strainer attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer. It’s a little coarse, meaning it will strain out quite a bit of the peas but if you put it back and let it strain 2 or 3 times, you’ll end up with not that much waste.
    And it’s super smooth afterwards.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood July 14, 2015, 2:29 PM

Thanks so much for sharing! I love hearing how people have found work arounds for skinning all the chickpeas individually.

• Kayla August 17, 2015, 9:21 PM

Do you have to use the canned chickpeas? Every recipe I have found all say canned chickpeas. I buy the dried bagged ones and the one fine I made hummus it wasn’t very good. Could also be because I quick soaked them instead of soaking them overnight.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood August 23, 2015, 9:37 PM

Hi Kayla, I’m really not sure about using dried chickpeas. I would think it would work just fine if you soaked them overnight and then peeled them and followed the recipe, but I’ve never tried it so I can only guess.

• Meggan Fahey Tavel October 26, 2015, 1:07 AM

Try draining the chickpeas then heating them in a pan with a tsp of baking soda. You only leave them over the heat until heated though. Then agitate well between your hands in a bowl of warm water. most of the skins will come right off and float to the top. it’s much easier than doing it by hand. Also, if you use dried (my preference) add baking soda to the soaking liquid and the skins dissolve while cooking.
    Thanks for the recipe!

• Lizzie November 23, 2015, 10:13 PM

I have to be honest.. I was cursing this recipe while I was shelling all those chickpeas, however it honestly is the best hummus ever. Thank you for this recipe!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood December 8, 2015, 8:45 PM

Haha! I know exactly how you feel. I’m glad it was worth the work. Thanks for coming back to let me know!

• Lisa Hall December 26, 2015, 8:02 AM

Thank you so much for this awesome recipe. This is the best hummus recipe ever. It taste just like the hummus at the restaurant i go to. Im so glad now i can make my own. Thanks so much

• Courtney @ Neighborfood December 26, 2015, 12:11 PM

I am so glad you enjoyed it so much! It’s always wonderful to be able to recreate a restaurant favorite!

• Lisa Hall December 26, 2015, 1:23 PM

Yes it is, and it was spot on. I will be making this often. You are a genius. Thanks

• Chris February 20, 2016, 1:16 AM

A big thank you! Its the best and velvet smooth. Did curse shelling but it went fast. Added the grated zest of the 1/2 lemon, then the juice as the zest was too nice to loose. Also added 2 tbls of middle eastern yogurt after the chickpea liquid.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 3, 2016, 12:29 PM

Thanks Chris! The shelling feels so futile when you’re in the midst of it, but I’m glad it was wroth it in the end!

• MC October 19, 2016, 4:23 AM

So you go to all the trouble of removing the skin… but you use CANNED chickpeas? People! If you’re really looking for the best hummus ever, start by cooking your own garbanzos. Now this cooking liquid is where it’s at!