This Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup comes together in one pot and makes for an easy, healthy weeknight meal. For more one pot meals, check out the other #SundaySupper recipes below.
A few weeks ago I mentioned I was sick. What I didn’t realize at the time was that that small sickness would drag it’s stubborn self on for over two solid weeks. It started with the sneezes, advanced quickly to the sniffles, then blew up into total congestified, drippy, coughy, snotty, sore throat awful.
The Mr. got it too, and between the two of us we managed to make the house utterly disgusting. Tissues snuck their way into couch cushions. Cough syrup bottles and sleeves of pills littered the coffee table. The sink filled with empty tea mugs and oatmeal clogged pots which we had no intention of cleaning. We were unshowered and smelled like a mixture of night sweats and Vics vapor rub. Let’s just say, we washed ALL the blankets in our house after this sickness.
I think being sick at the same time as your husband is the absolute worst. At least when you’re the only one sick, you can get your hubby to make you dinner and bring you ice cream and do the laundry and generally feel really bad for you.
But when you’re both sick, there are no sympathy back rubs. We were both total grumps, each of us bitter that the other one couldn’t properly take care of us in our moment of need. It’s one thing to care for a sick spouse when you’re feeling great. But when you’re both fighting the cold from hell? That’s when grace and understanding and “in sickness and in health” is really put to the test.
What does all this have to do with Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup?
Not a whole lot, except I think it might have saved us.
When the Mr. started getting a scratchy throat at the beginning of the week, I decided to make a huge pot of this soup for dinner.
We had tons of leftovers, and thank God we did, because for the rest of the week we lived on those leftovers.
I think I ate this soup three days in a row–and sometimes more than once in a day.
Who knows where we’d be without this soup?
We probably would have killed each other fighting over the can opener for the last can of Campbell’s Chicken and Noodle Soup.
This brothy soup filled with spinach and red pepper and cheesy tortellini got us through. The broth for this has a surprisingly deep flavor thanks to a Parmesan rind thrown in with the other soup ingredients. I amped it up even more with a healthy dose of red pepper flakes. I loved the distinct warmth the red pepper flakes gave this soup, and it happened to be just the thing my clogged sinuses needed.
And the best part? It all comes together in one big pot in about 30 minutes, most of which is hands off time.
I gotta be honest with you, the pictures of this soup were not my fav. The spinach, while great in health benefits, doesn’t do much for the color of a soup. But don’t be deceived by its looks. This soup has a whole lotta crazy good inside.
Tired of doing dishes? My fellow #SundaySupper contributors are sharing their best one pot meals this week. Hop below the recipe to check them out!
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ a large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 12 ounces mushrooms (any variety)
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz. frozen spinach
- About a 4 inch piece Parmesan rind (optional)
- 1½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cracked Pepper
- 9 ounces cheese tortellini
- Melt butter in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and red pepper, cover, and allow to soften for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms, chicken broth, water, spinach, Parmesan rind, and seasonings, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Add the tortellini and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Skinny Taste
“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters
- Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Eggplant Parmesan Soup by The Texan New Yorker
- Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Korean-Style Short Rib Soup (slow cooker) by I Run For Wine
- Chicken Corn Chowder by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup by Neighborfood
- Lasagna Soup by The ROXX Box
- Beefy Skillet Nacho Bake by The Weekend Gourmet
- German Onion Soup by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- White Bean and Spinach Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Korean Oxtail Soup (Kkori Gomtang) by kimchi MOM
- Fall Squash Chili by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
“Put meat on your bones” Stews
- Brew Stewed Beef by The Foodie Army Wife
- Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken (slow cooker) by girlichef
- Pepper Beef Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Red Wine, Carrots and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fabulous French Cassoulet by Webicurean
- Slowcooker Coq Au Vin by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Claypot Braised Tofu by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Moroccan Lentil Ragout with Poached Eggs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken and Dumplings by Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Tomato Pasta by Supper for a Steal
- Spicy Coconut Chicken Casserole by The Urban Mrs.
- Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas by Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Pork Chops and Veggies by Cookin’ Mimi
- Jambalaya by Country Girl in the Village
- Easy Oven Sweet & Sour Chicken by Momma’s Meal
- Asian Chicken Rice Pot by A distinguished palate
- Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry by Foxes Love Lemons
- One-Pot Lentil Chicken by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Beef and Quince Tajine by MarocMama
- Cajun Rice and Beans by Growing Up Gabel
- Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Sandwiches by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sunday Supper Pork and Chorizo by Family Foodie
- Mediterranean Chicken Bake by The Dinner-Mom
- Easy Chorizo, Corn and Potatoes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Roasted Corn, Tomato and Broccoli Risotto by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Quick ‘n Easy Asian-Style Quinoa by NinjaBaking.com
- Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Chipotle Tamale Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Turkey Sausage and Noodle Pesto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pot Coconut Rice Shrimp Pilaf by Sue’s Nutrition Buzzz
- One Pot Spicy Pasta by Mess Makes Food
“Can’t say no” Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Busy-Day S’mores Cake by Treats & Trinkets
- Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Spice Apple Crisp by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies by Pies and Plots