This Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake is what spring wants you to have with your morning coffee. Speckled with lemon zest, bursting with blueberries, and covered with a crunchy cinnamon sugar crumble, it’s the perfect excuse to eat dessert for breakfast.

Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake |

One of the perks of this whole food blogging thing is awesome mail days. I get packages of food delivered to my door on a weekly basis. It’s always a thrill to see a box waiting for me outside the front door. That is…until I rush in, rip it open, and realize the husband ordered batteries on Woot again. Lame-sauce. (Just kidding honey! I love you!)

But occasionally I suppose this regular package delivery thing might raise a red flag.

Let me explain.

Last week as I groggily rolled over to hit snooze get out of bed, I noticed I had 4 missed calls on my phone, all from blocked numbers.

Then I noticed the voice mail. I grabbed my phone to play the message, still half asleep. The man on the other end of the line was unfamiliar, but he identified himself as an agent from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations and he wanted to talk to me…soon.

Needless to say, I popped out of bed. Nothing gets your heart rate going quite like a call from the Bureau of Criminal Investigations.

I returned the man’s phone call and quickly learned they had seized a package addressed to me because there were a few things that made it seem suspicious, one of which was, no doubt, our location. You see, we live on what you might call “the other side of the tracks.” We love our neighborhood and wouldn’t trade it, but there’s definitely some…errr… “extracurricular activity” going on. The investigators thought this package might contain some of the aforementioned extracurricular activity. They weren’t accusing me per say, but they thought someone might be using our address to ship drugs to our house then pick up the package while we were at work.

Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake | A super easy coffee cake bursting with blueberries and scented with lemon zest.

The agents asked me some questions about whether I was expecting a package, where it was from, and how much said package would likely weigh. Since I’m nearly always expecting a package I had a hard time explaining the situation to them. The more I talked, the more I realized how shady I must have sounded.

Me: “Ummmmm, you see, I’m a food blogger. I work with brands who send me product then I promote it on my blog.”

Them (probably) : Suuuuuuuuuure. You’re a “food blogger” who works with “brands” who send you “product.” Sounds legit.

As soon as I said product the Mr. thought for sure I was going to jail.

In the end, the agents asked if they could bring the package to our house and have me open it in front of them just to confirm it wasn’t drugs…errr…”product”. They showed up later that afternoon, and with just a teensy bit of fear in my heart, I sliced open the packing tape and ripped open the box only to discover…

25 pounds of Dixie Crystals Sugar.

Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake | The perfect addition to your morning coffee.

That’s right. It was sugar. Brown sugar. Powdered sugar. Cane sugar. Even cinnamon sugar.

As it turns out, the agents were incredibly nice guys and we all had a good laugh about it. They asked me a few more questions about this food blogging business, and before they left I gave them my card and promised to bring them some treats made with the “goods.”

Let me tell you guys, this Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake is THE GOODS.

I could not stop myself from eating it. Of course I had to have a slice warm out of the oven. Then one after the photo shoot. Then a little before dinner…and after dinner…and as a late night snack. Dare I say it’s…addictive?

This is coffee cake perfection. It’d make a lovely addition to your Easter brunch menu or you could serve it with a dollop of whipped cream for an elegant dessert. Lemony, sweet, fluffy, and packed with juicy blueberries, it screams SPRING IS HERE!

Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake | This tender coffee cake is packed with blueberries and lemon zest with a sweet cinnamon sugar topping.

All of the #SundaySupper crew is screaming spring today with treats made with Dixie Crystals sugar. Trust me, these treats are so good, they should probably be illegal. (Alright, alright, I’m done with the puns…promise).

Be sure to check out all the great recipes, and while you’re at it, head on over to Dixie Crystals and give them a like on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram to get a steady stream of sugary goodness in your life!

Dixie Crystals Logo

Finally, if you’re a fellow blogger, you’re definitely going to want to check out Dixie Crystal’s Brownie Dessert Contest. Develop your own killer brownie dessert recipe, share it in a blog post, and you could win a $500 gift card plus a ticket to this year’s Food and Wine Conference. Head over to the contest page to find out more!

This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. As always, all opinions are my own.

Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake
  • 1 pint blueberries
For the topping:
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • ⅓ cup flour
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ cup butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 inch square baking pan.
  2. In a mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Add the softened butter, milk, and egg to the bowl and beat until a smooth batter forms. There may still be some small lumps of butter. That's okay.
  4. Toss the blueberries with the 2 Tablespoons of flour then gently stir them into the batter along with the lemon zest. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
  5. For the topping, combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Use two forks or a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture, working it in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbles. Sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over the batter.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 38-45 minutes or until cake is golden and lofted and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Recipe by Neighborfood

I’ve included a few process photos for you below, but honestly, this is one of the easiest cakes you’ll ever make. Start with a mixing bowl or your electric mixer. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Add the softened butter, milk, and egg to the bowl and beat on medium speed until the batter begins to form. It might have small lumps of butter in it after being beaten. That’s okay.

Grab a lemon and use a grater or zester to add about 1/2 of the zest of the lemon to the bowl. This smells so good!

Finally, toss the blueberries with a few Tablespoons of flour then throw them into the batter (gently). Use a spatula or wooden spoon to gently fold the blueberries into the batter (you don’t want the blueberries to all bust!). Pour the batter into the prepared pans.

I completely forgot to take a picture of the crumb topping, but I promise it’s super simple. Whisk together all the dry ingredients then use your fingers or a pastry cutter to work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is in coarse little crumbles. Spread the crumble on top and bake!

Check out all my friend’s fabulous springtime treats!

Sunday Supper

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share  recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and  remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more  fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday  Supper Movement.

• Alida March 30, 2014, 7:22 AM

Food blogger perks in the mail are always exciting, but you had quite the experience. That’s pretty hilarious! This coffee cake looks delicious! The blueberries look perfect and juicy, with a touch of lemon – definitely the taste of Spring!

• Renee Dobbs March 30, 2014, 7:28 AM

Hilarious about the package delivery. I can just see you opening that package with those investigators standing by.

• Tammi March 30, 2014, 7:30 AM

Oh Courtney I’ll never forget this story! And you had me at Coffee Cake never mind blueberries and lemon!! Two of my favs!

• Liz March 30, 2014, 7:39 AM

This has got to be one of the funniest food blogger stories ever! I’m sure the investigators would love a slice of your beautiful blueberry buckle…I know I would!!!

• cupcakekalechip March 30, 2014, 8:00 AM

This is just a fabulous #foodbloggerproblems story! But I am sure this cake IS addictive!

• Laura Dembowski March 30, 2014, 8:22 AM

I love your story! It made me laugh so hard :). But I bet it was a little frightening in the moment. You probably needed an extra piece of this coffee cake to relax!

• supperforasteal March 30, 2014, 8:33 AM

Haha that is such a great story! And this coffee cake, omg it looks incredible. I’ll take a piece now please.

• Shaina Wizov March 30, 2014, 8:37 AM

Hahah that is a really funny story. I always wonder what the mailman and UPS guy think when they brings me packages every week!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 31, 2014, 9:25 PM

And I’m usually in sweats and covered in flour or powdered sugar. I’m sure they’re suspicious of me!

• Alice Choi March 30, 2014, 8:46 AM

haha love that you shared the story! so classic! and LOVE your blueberry buckle coffee cake!!!

• Cindys Recipes March 30, 2014, 9:39 AM

Your cake looks lovely, Courtney!

• Family Foodie March 30, 2014, 9:52 AM

This is seriously, the BEST #SundaySupper Post ever!!! And this coffee cake needs to make it’s way to my house very soon!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 31, 2014, 9:25 PM

Well thanks Isabel! It was definitely the funniest thing that’s happened to me as a result of food blogging!

• DB-The Foodie Stuntman March 30, 2014, 10:09 AM

Great story and great cake too!

• Wendy March 30, 2014, 10:13 AM

I adore lemon and blueberry together…and I love easy-tomake coffee cakes! I need to make this one relaxing weekend morning to surprise hubby!

• Shannon March 30, 2014, 10:15 AM

This looks so good, it should be criminal… lol wakka wakka. But serious, Yumm-o!!

• Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious March 30, 2014, 10:33 AM

Best Sunday Supper anecdote EVER!

• Constance March 30, 2014, 11:08 AM

Who ever would have thought that Food Blogging would cause you to have a run-in with the LAW!!!??? How funny! Great recipe too!

• Hezzi-D March 30, 2014, 12:32 PM

Blueberry and lemon is one of my favorite spring combinations. I have yet to make a buckle cake but it’s on my list!

• MamaMommyMom March 30, 2014, 12:48 PM

That looks absolutely amazing! I would love to have a piece right now!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons March 30, 2014, 3:13 PM

Best story ever. And yes, the more you said “products,” the more you sounded like Heisenberg, Breaking Bad-style. I’m all about any excuse to eat dessert for breakfast, but this looks especially amazing. Blueberries and lemons? You know I’m all over that!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood March 31, 2014, 9:27 PM

I wonder if investigators are even more suspicious after the whole Breaking Bad thing. They’re probably looking at every high school science teacher with a raised eyebrow. Ha!

• Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough March 30, 2014, 5:05 PM

That story just made my day. How INSANE. So glad you got sugar instead of, you know, other “goods” by accident. 😉 This coffee cake looks scrumptious!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 2, 2014, 11:02 AM

It’s definitely the most bizarre/hilarious thing to come out of this whole food blogging business. I’m just glad I didn’t have to write this post from jail! Ha!

• Carla March 30, 2014, 5:09 PM

I don’t think we will ever let you live this story down 😀 Glad you weren’t sent to jail; otherwise we wouldn’t have this wonderful coffee cake 😉

• cheri March 30, 2014, 6:04 PM

Great story! had myself a little chuckle. Love this blueberry buckle, looks amazing!

• Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere March 31, 2014, 11:15 AM

My Mom’s from Maine, and we used to have Blueberry Buckle all the time. But, for some reason, I haven’t made it in ages. Now, I know what I’m doing as soon as our blueberries come in!

• Jennie @themessybakerblog March 31, 2014, 12:05 PM

This is the most inviting blueberry buckle I’ve ever seen. I want pop on by and eat a piece with you. I can’t believe the whole FBI thing happened. Pinning!

• Nancy March 31, 2014, 12:20 PM

Lmao. This is one of my favourite stories of all time. Because I love ya, I’m truly glad that you’re not sitting in prison right now, waiting for trial. I’ll fly down there and defend you! It’s my duty as a lawyer and fellow blogger. As for the cake, dang girl! It looks so fluffy and moist and light, bursting with fresh pops of blueberry. This cake would bribe any judge or jury to let you off 😉

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 2, 2014, 11:00 AM

Nancy, I am so glad I’ve got you in my corner. I wouldn’t want anyone else defending me!

• littleredkitchen March 31, 2014, 5:27 PM

You’re such a troublemaker! I loved the story the first time you told us, but it’s still hilarious reading about it. I think you should grease their palms with some of this cake. No more trouble from now on!

• Karen @ The Food Charlatan April 1, 2014, 12:27 AM

OH MY GOSH!!! Best. Story. Ever. I’m glad this is written down for posterity. I’m surprised they didn’t open a package to taste just to MAKE SURE it wasn’t cocaine.

• Erika April 8, 2014, 9:27 AM

Oh man I had come over to check out the story after Nancy at Gotta Get Baked mentioned it…and it is truly hilarious! Hahaha. Although kind of scary to think that the other scenario (people using your address to ship drugs) actually happens in real life!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 10, 2014, 2:41 PM

I’m so glad you stopped by Erika! It was such a crazy experience. Definitely the strangest thing that’s happened to me since I started blogging. At least I got a great story out of the deal! 🙂

Next post: