This frittata combines leftover ham, leeks, and Parmesan cheese for a satisfying dinner made in 20 minutes flat!

Ham and Leek Frittata with Arugula from Neighborfoodblog.com

Got leftovers?

ME TOO.

My mom refuses to let us leave any holiday gathering without a giant stack of Cool Whip containers filled with ham and cheesy potatoes.

I like to complain about it, but I secretly love it. I mean, who’s going to argue with cheesy potatoes? (<<Not me).

Of course, the ham usually gets its first revival in the form of a ham sandwich made on whatever leftover holiday rolls we happened to glean.

But after that, the ham returns to its one true soul mate and life long partner: eggs.

Ham and Leek Frittata with Arugula | Neighborfoodblog.com #20minutemeal #onepanmeal

There’s no quicker way to turn leftovers into a brand new meal then to toss them into a frittata. Frittatas are like the Statue of Liberty of the food world. Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses…your neglected produce, your wilted greens, your scorned meats. The frittata doesn’t discriminate. It wraps all your forgotten leftovers in its yolky embrace and transforms them into something you actually want to eat again.

This ham and leek frittata is no different. Leftover ham and leeks combine with Parmesan cheese and a handful of fresh arugula to make a satisfying and light meal that’s ridiculously easy to throw together. Made in one skillet in under 20 minutes it seems almost silly that I don’t make frittatas every single night of the week.

Ham, Leek, and Arugula Frittata | Neighborfoodblog.com

Like any frittata, this one is primed to receive your own rag-tag assortment of leftover meats, cheese, veggies, or herbs. I kicked myself when I realized I had some nearly-gone mushrooms in the fridge that I forgot to add. And if I had had a half-eaten block of gruyere cheese hanging around, you can bet that would have made it in there as well.

But really, this frittata serves its purpose quite well with just the basics. I love tossing some fresh arugula on top to add some peppery bite (and extra nutrition!), and I can’t resist adding a dollop of sour cream just before serving. It’s leftover perfection.

ham-and-leek-frittata-4

My friend Emily of Jelly Toast did an excellent video on how to make a frittata, so if you want to see how crazy easy this is with your own eyes, be sure to check it out!

Ham and Leek Frittata with Arugula

Ingredients
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 leek, white and pale green parts only, chopped and well rinsed
  • 1 cup leftover diced ham
  • 8 eggs
  • ½ cup Parmesan cheese
  • Handful arugula
  • Sour cream (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Melt the butter over medium heat in an 8 inch cast iron skillet or other oven proof skillet. Add the leek, and ham and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the eggs, stirring gently to combine. Sprinkle cheese on top. Allow the mixture to cook for about 1 minute.
  3. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and set. If desired you can turn the broiler on for an extra minute or two to brown the top.
  4. To serve, sprinkle with arugula and a dollop of sour cream (optional).

Recipe by Neighborfood

• Joanne (eats well with others) April 22, 2014, 8:15 AM

An everything-but-the-kitchen-sink fritatta sounds leftovers-perfect to me!! Totally loving this! ANd no, I will never reject cheesy potatoes either. That would just be sinful.

• Rebecca {Foodie with Family} April 22, 2014, 11:00 AM

I can’t think of a better pairing than eggs, ham, leeks and cheese. My word. So perfect.

• bellalimento April 22, 2014, 11:17 AM

Oh sweet Becky, there’s nothing I don’t like about this : )

• Meredith Steele April 22, 2014, 11:48 AM

You know how much I love arugula on frittatas! this looks great.

• Taking On Magazines April 22, 2014, 12:23 PM

The Statue of Liberty of the food world. That’s going to have me giggling for a while. Well said! That frittata looks amazing too, as in, let me have the whole thing amazing.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 23, 2014, 10:59 AM

Haha…thanks! Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one who thinks my cheesy jokes are funny. Nice to know someone else shares my sense of humor! 🙂

• Angie April 22, 2014, 12:57 PM

I love leftovers! And this looks amazing!

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes April 22, 2014, 6:31 PM

Perfect looking frittata!! Nice job with this!

• Melanie | Melanie Makes April 22, 2014, 7:48 PM

A gorgeous dish – although I was secretly hoping for a different ham dish… 😉

• Dawn Lopez April 22, 2014, 10:39 PM

Oh my goodness, this is perfect! I was just looking for ideas on what to do with all the leftover ham we have. This looks awesome!

• Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic April 23, 2014, 11:46 AM

What is it about mothers and leftovers in empty Cool Whip containers? My MIL does the same thing, and I love it. Never, ever turn down leftover cheesy potatoes! The Statue of Liberty analogy literally made me LOL! Fritattas are so accepting of all the leftovers.

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 23, 2014, 2:34 PM

Me too! You never know what might be in the Cool Whip container at mom’s house. 🙂 I’m so glad someone else appreciates my kooky sense of humor. It was the best comparison I could think of!

• Kim Beaulieu April 23, 2014, 3:33 PM

This has all of my favourite things in one dish. I should totally try this for hubs. We still have some ham left. And I’m still loving every bite.

• littleredkitchen April 23, 2014, 5:37 PM

hmmm. . .I have everything but the leeks (okay fine it’s baby kale instead of arugula but you know) I think I need some frittata in my life. Also is this a new background? I love it!

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 24, 2014, 10:33 AM

It’s newish. I’ve used it a few times already, but this was the first picture I felt like it really “fit.” I’m trying to experiment with darker photos. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t! 🙂

• Laura Dembowski April 24, 2014, 3:10 PM

frittatas are the best because they are so versatile. Whenever I make one, I just put in all the vegetables in my refrigerator that need to be used up.

• Doone00 April 25, 2014, 3:11 AM

This looks awesome. I wish I had stumbled upon it before I ate all the leftover ham from Easter! 🙂 Do you use only the green part of the leek or the white part as well?

• Courtney @ Neighborfood April 25, 2014, 10:30 AM

I only use the white and pale green parts. Thanks for catching that! I’ll specify in the recipe as well.

• Arthur in the Garden! April 25, 2014, 1:39 PM

Yummy!

• Erin April 27, 2014, 10:45 AM

Looks like a great use of those leftovers. I just finished up the last of ours too!