This frittata combines leftover ham, leeks, and Parmesan cheese for a satisfying dinner made in 20 minutes flat!
My mom refuses to let us leave any holiday gathering without a giant stack of Cool Whip containers filled with ham and cheesy potatoes.
I like to complain about it, but I secretly love it. I mean, who’s going to argue with cheesy potatoes? (<<Not me).
Of course, the ham usually gets its first revival in the form of a ham sandwich made on whatever leftover holiday rolls we happened to glean.
But after that, the ham returns to its one true soul mate and life long partner: eggs.
There’s no quicker way to turn leftovers into a brand new meal then to toss them into a frittata. Frittatas are like the Statue of Liberty of the food world. Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses…your neglected produce, your wilted greens, your scorned meats. The frittata doesn’t discriminate. It wraps all your forgotten leftovers in its yolky embrace and transforms them into something you actually want to eat again.
This ham and leek frittata is no different. Leftover ham and leeks combine with Parmesan cheese and a handful of fresh arugula to make a satisfying and light meal that’s ridiculously easy to throw together. Made in one skillet in under 20 minutes it seems almost silly that I don’t make frittatas every single night of the week.
Like any frittata, this one is primed to receive your own rag-tag assortment of leftover meats, cheese, veggies, or herbs. I kicked myself when I realized I had some nearly-gone mushrooms in the fridge that I forgot to add. And if I had had a half-eaten block of gruyere cheese hanging around, you can bet that would have made it in there as well.
But really, this frittata serves its purpose quite well with just the basics. I love tossing some fresh arugula on top to add some peppery bite (and extra nutrition!), and I can’t resist adding a dollop of sour cream just before serving. It’s leftover perfection.
My friend Emily of Jelly Toast did an excellent video on how to make a frittata, so if you want to see how crazy easy this is with your own eyes, be sure to check it out!
Ham and Leek Frittata with Arugula
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 leek, white and pale green parts only, chopped and well rinsed
- 1 cup leftover diced ham
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Handful arugula
- Sour cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in an 8 inch cast iron skillet or other oven proof skillet. Add the leek, and ham and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the eggs, stirring gently to combine. Sprinkle cheese on top. Allow the mixture to cook for about 1 minute.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and set. If desired you can turn the broiler on for an extra minute or two to brown the top.
- To serve, sprinkle with arugula and a dollop of sour cream (optional).
Recipe by Neighborfood