These easy no bake Chocolate Robin’s Egg Nests are an adorable addition to your Easter tables!
Spring snuck up on me this year. I cannot ever, in my whole life, remember this happening before. Usually I’m waiting anxiously, gritting my teeth against the blustery winds, and bitterly trudging my way through winter’s last snowy revenge this time of year. I am looking desperately for spring, clinging to the hope of warmer temperatures with all my might.
But this year was different. Winter was gentler, kinder in Ohio this year. I only had to scrape my car off a few times and even during those few occasions I didn’t find myself wondering why no one had invented heated space bubbles for us to walk around in. By mid-March we were seeing temperatures soar into the low 80s. It’s pretty darn wonderful, but wow, has it ever thrown me off schedule.The last three months I’ve been waiting for winter to unleash it’s fury on us. I figured all the snow, ice, wind, below freezing temperatures, and other tortures must be piling up somewhere, just waiting to dump all their terrors on us at once.
But suddenly I realized it’s almost the end of March. Spring time is officially here. And while I’m still suspicious of winter’s evil plot, I think maybe, just maybe we’re in the clear.
So here I am, cautiously pulling out my spring recipes, hoping winter doesn’t come back to mock me. After all, who can resist? The trees are blossoming, the tulips are gracing our yards with pops of color, and the birds are back and singing! It’s time to break out the grill, dust off the patio, and revisit that old berry cobbler recipe.
And since Easter is just around the corner, it’s also time to make adorable, colorful edible Chocolate Robin’s Egg Nests.
This is a super easy, super fun, super scrumptious recipe.
Did I mention it’s super?
These are totally no bake, so you can hold off on the A/C for a few more weeks and not heat your house up with that oven. Great for the kiddos, great for your Easter table, great for your tastebuds. What else can you ask for?
Chocolate Robin's Egg Nests (With Gluten Free version)
- 1 (12 oz) bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (12 oz) bag butterscotch chips
- 1 (10-12 oz) bag chow mein noodles (find them in the Asian section!)
- 1 big bag or 2 small bags Easter colored Cadbury eggs, Pretzel M and Ms or other favorite round candy
- In a large microwave safe bowl (or in a double boiler over gently simmering water), combine chocolate and butterscotch chips. Melt chips in the microwave, stirring every 45 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour lo mein noodles into the bowl and mix until the noodles are fully coated.
- Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper, foil, or parchment paper. Place scoops of the noodle mixture onto the prepared pans. Press a chocolate egg (or several) into the center.
- Place pans in refrigerator for about 30 minutes to set up. Store at room temperature.
Substitute 10-12 oz halved gluten free pretzel sticks for the chow mein noodles (Snyder's has a gluten free line).
Substitute the eggs for Peanut, Almond, or Milk Chocolate M &Ms or many of the other gluten free candies listed on this site.
Recipe adapted from Six Sister’s Stuff