The easiest, tastiest Apple Dumplings of your life

This recipe is not exactly what I would call my norm. It calls for 2 cans of refrigerated crescent roll dough, more butter than I care to mention at this moment, and a can of ginger ale.

That’s right. There’s pop. In the apple dumplings.

They’re not exactly what you’d call “from scratch.”

But gosh darn it, if these aren’t the easiest, tastiest apple dumplings I’ve ever had.

This recipe is an adaption of one that’s been floating around the web and in kitchens everywhere for who knows how long. I haven’t been able to find an original recipe anywhere, but it appears many people have discovered the magic of crescent wrapped apple doused in a can of pop.

You think I’m simplifying don’t you? The crazy thing is, I’m not. You literally take slices of apples, roll them up in crescent dough, then pour a mixture of butter, sugar, and pop all over it.

The original version of this recipe calls for Mountain Dew.

Yes, you heard me right. Mountain Dew is the secret weapon in the easiest ever Apple Dumplings.

Unfortunately, we no longer have all night slumber parties, so we don’t keep Mountain Dew in the house. What I do always have in the house is Vernor’s ginger ale. It’s the Mr.’s favorite and since I have an unhealthy obsession with making apple cider and ginger ale floats, we have to like to keep it on hand. I simply swapped the Mountain Dew for ginger ale and lowered the butter and sugar just enough to  make my pants fit at the end of the day.

You’ll be scared putting this into the oven. I know I was. The crescents were nearly drowning in the ginger-ale mixture and I honestly expected to pull out a bunch of wet, soggy dumplings in 20 minutes.

Instead, I got this: Perfectly golden and crunchy tops, soft baked apple centers, and a to-die-for syrup on the bottom.

You know I had to put vanilla ice cream on it.

The whole thing is in and out of the oven in under an hour (only 15 minutes of that is prep time!), making it a great last minute dessert. And the best part is, no one ever needs to know how crazy easy it really was.

Easy Ginger Apple Dumplings

Prep Time 10 minsPrep Time
Cook Time 35 minsCook Time
Total Time 45 mins Total Time
Yields 8

Ginger ale creates a sweet syrup to accompany these easy, delicious apple dumplings.

• 3 apples (I used Jonagolds), peeled and sliced in sixths
  • 2 cans refrigerated crescent rolls (8 rolls per can)
  • 12 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 12 oz. ginger ale
  • Cinnamon

1. Butter a 9 x 13 inch pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Wrap one crescent roll around each apple slice (you'll have a few apple slices left over), and place them in the prepared pan. They'll be nice and snug in there!
  3. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in sugar and vanilla until sugar is nearly dissolved. Pour butter mixture over crescent rolls.
  4. Pour ginger ale over the sides and down the middle of the pan. Sprinkle cinnamon over all.
  5. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees, or until tops are browned and crispy. Serve dumplings with ice cream and a heaping spoonful of that delicious sauce.

Loading nutrition data...

Thanks for cooking with me today!

If you made this, I'd love for you to share a photo of your creation on my Facebook page, and don't forget to join the NeighborFood community to get recipes, meal plans, and a special members-only newsletter delivered straight to your inbox!

Recipe by Neighborfood

• Erika October 24, 2012, 12:58 PM

I’ve never made dessert dumplings, but those look super delicious!!! I love that you used ginger ale in this instead of Mountain Dew (um, that does not sound good). What does the fizziness do to the final product? I want to try making these using apple cider!

• Courtney October 24, 2012, 5:33 PM

Great question Erika! You know I’m not exactly sure what the fizziness does per say, all I know is that the resulting sauce is most certainly NOT fizzy. And to be honest, the ginger ale I had was opened so it wasn’t the fizziest thing to begin with. So I would say definitely try it with apple cider (or maybe half cider/half ginger ale??) That sounds fantastic!

• Erika Kwee October 24, 2012, 6:10 PM

Thanks so much for the quick reply! That sounds good 🙂

And I should let you know that I think your photos are amazing!! Like that second photo just makes me want to grab that plate and eat that delicious looking dumpling!!

• Jessica@AKitchenAddiction October 25, 2012, 3:59 PM

These dumplings are beautiful! I’m curious to know more about how the ginger ale affects them. Oh, and I like that you say “pop”! My husband insists that it’s soda while I hold firm to it being pop! 😉

• Courtney October 25, 2012, 8:04 PM

Stay strong Jessica! It’s definitely pop, not soda, no matter what husbands may say! 🙂 You know, I’m not even really sure how the pop affects the final product. I do know our ginger ale was pretty flat so I don’t think the fizziness is a requirement for the final product to work. It appears to be one of those baking mysteries though.

• Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos October 25, 2012, 4:12 PM

This is one my favorite versions of an apple dumpling! Using Vernor’s is a great idea – love that stuff 🙂 Your pictures are gorgeous!

• Courtney October 25, 2012, 8:06 PM

Thanks Becca! I had never tried Vernor’s until I met the Mr. He’s from Michigan and it’s pretty much a staple up there. I’m so glad he introduced me to it though. I’m not a huge fan of pop, but I love a glass of Vernor’s!

• Savory Simple October 25, 2012, 10:53 PM

Crescent dough can work great in recipes! I think this sounds fabulous.

• Norma September 5, 2014, 4:34 AM

Are the refrigerated crescent rolls a dough or have they been baked already?

• Cindy October 19, 2017, 1:08 PM

I made these last night and they were amazing! There was a lot f liquid on the bottom of the pan and I was afraid they would get soggy, so I replayed the rolls immediately. Is this normal?

• Courtney October 20, 2017, 3:08 PM

So glad you liked them. It’s normal for there to be a thick liquid (sort of like a sauce) at the bottom. I recommend serving the rolls immediately so they don’t get soggy!