Fajita Grilled Cheese is loaded with bell peppers, onions, and spicy pepper jack cheese.
Grilling buttered bread with a slice of cheese in the center is probably the best decision you can make in a day.
I mean, you can pick out clothes that don’t match, go to the grocery store during the rush, stay up till 1 re-watching episodes of Arrested Development, but if you find yourself standing over a skillet with some buttered bread and cheese, you know you’ve made at least one good decision today.
Grilled cheese is so good, it has a whole month dedicated to it’s celebration. April is the month of gooey, melty, toasty, spicy, stacked, stuffed, buttered, and grilled sandwiches.
I’m not very picky when it comes to grilled cheese. Sure, I love a fancy gruyere melt on artisan bread. But I can be just as satisfied with a good old slice of processed American cheese sandwiched between Wonder Bread. Again, you can’t really go wrong here.
This version sticks to the basics–good cheese and good bread, and adds in some warm, fajita style charred peppers and onions for a little south of the border flavor. The combination of savory cheese and sweet peppers is outttathisworld.
For my grilled cheese, I used this Cheesy Jalapeno Bread, because the slab of cheese in the center of my sandwich just wasn’t enough. And also because it grills like a boss. It gets all golden and crispy on the outside but stays nice and soft in the center. Perfection.
You can use whatever bread you like, though I would save the wheat for the Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly. For the cheese, I used monterey jack, but pepper jack would also be crazy good, especially if you don’t have jalapenos in your bread.
Choose something good today. Choose grilled cheese.
Fajita Style Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 2 slices monterey jack or pepper jack cheese
- 6 mini sweet peppers or half a sweet bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter
- Spread the butter on one side of each of the four slices of bread. The Mr. is adamant that butter coverage must be even. Spread it clear to the edges. It's worth the extra .2 seconds.
- Heat one skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and allow it to heat. Add onions and peppers to the skillet. Allow them to sit for 1-2 minutes without stirring to develop some char. Then stir and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until just soft.
- Meanwhile, heat another skillet over medium heat. Place all the bread slices butter side down into the skillet. Place the cheese slices on top of two of the bread slices. Cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 6-7 minutes.
- Remove bread slices to plate. Place onions and peppers on top of melted cheese then cover with the other slice of grilled bread. Dig in!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 538kcal Calories from fat 248|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 28g||43%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||70%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|