Last week we learned how to make super easy croutons. Today, we learn how to make an eggless, anchovy-less Caesar dressing in under 5 minutes!
Back in my college days, one of my favorite meals was a chicken caesar grilled cheese. It was nothing fancy. In fact, nearly all of the ingredients were pre-made: Tyson grilled chicken breast strips, pre-sliced mozzarella cheese, and a good smear of Marzetti’s Caesar dressing. But something about the combination of these things made it feel truly special (or maybe it’s just because it wasn’t cereal or ramen again…we may never know).
Who would have thought that pre-made girl would one day be sharing a recipe for homemade Caesar dressing on a food blog? Life sure has its surprises.
But here’s the thing. Deep down, I’m still that same college girl. I still appreciate the convenience of being able to pull a bottle of dressing out of the fridge and go. That’s why this recipe is the easiest thing ever. It takes maaaaybe 5 minutes to make and is way easier than running to the store for a last minute purchase.
This dressing is free from raw eggs and anchovies, which means it’s not a traditional Caesar. However, it also means this recipe is great for those who can’t eat raw eggs or those who don’t keep a stash of anchovies around at all times (<<<<isn’t this everyone??).
The recipe goes something like this: toss ingredients in measuring cup. Whisk. Done. The base of the recipe starts with mayonnaise, so if you need a completely egg free dressing, make sure you use an egg free mayonnaise, such as Spectrum canola based mayo. If you’re only concerned about the raw eggs, feel free to use whatever mayonnaise you like. From there, you’ll just whisk in a little lemon juice, grated garlic, fresh ground pepper, and plenty of Parmesan cheese (of course).
See? Totally easy. After you’ve got the dressing down, this is just your standard Caesar salad. Torn romaine (I learned from Christina at Dessert for Two that tearing lettuce instead of chopping it helps keep the lettuce fresher and greener), a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese (you can never have too much cheese), homemade croutons, and lots of fresh ground pepper on top.
This makes for a great light lunch or dinner side. It’s fancy enough to serve at a dinner party, but easy enough to make on a busy weeknight. Oh, and if you feel the need to smear this on a grilled cheese the next day, I totally get it.
Easy Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing
For the Caesar dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise****
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice (1/2 a large lemon)
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
For the salad
- 3 romaine hearts, rinsed and torn
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Homemade croutons
- Fresh ground black pepper
- In a small mixing bowl or measuring cup, whisk together all the ingredients but the olive oil. Slowly drizzle in olive oil until desired consistency is reached. I like mine thinner, but you may want to add less than 2 Tablespoons, or none at all. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- For the salad, toss lettuce with dressing and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh ground black pepper. Top with homemade croutons.
- ***Note: If you want a completely egg-free Caesar, you'll need to make sure you choose an egg free Mayonaisse, such as Spectrum Canola Mayo.
Recipe adapted from Food Fanatic