This Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake is what spring wants you to have with your morning coffee. Speckled with lemon zest, bursting with blueberries, and covered with a crunchy cinnamon sugar crumble, it’s the perfect excuse to eat dessert for breakfast.
One of the perks of this whole food blogging thing is awesome mail days. I get packages of food delivered to my door on a weekly basis. It’s always a thrill to see a box waiting for me outside the front door. That is…until I rush in, rip it open, and realize the husband ordered batteries on Woot again. Lame-sauce. (Just kidding honey! I love you!)
But occasionally I suppose this regular package delivery thing might raise a red flag.
Let me explain.
Last week as I groggily rolled over to hit snooze get out of bed, I noticed I had 4 missed calls on my phone, all from blocked numbers.
Then I noticed the voice mail. I grabbed my phone to play the message, still half asleep. The man on the other end of the line was unfamiliar, but he identified himself as an agent from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations and he wanted to talk to me…soon.
Needless to say, I popped out of bed. Nothing gets your heart rate going quite like a call from the Bureau of Criminal Investigations.
I returned the man’s phone call and quickly learned they had seized a package addressed to me because there were a few things that made it seem suspicious, one of which was, no doubt, our location. You see, we live on what you might call “the other side of the tracks.” We love our neighborhood and wouldn’t trade it, but there’s definitely some…errr… “extracurricular activity” going on. The investigators thought this package might contain some of the aforementioned extracurricular activity. They weren’t accusing me per say, but they thought someone might be using our address to ship drugs to our house then pick up the package while we were at work.
The agents asked me some questions about whether I was expecting a package, where it was from, and how much said package would likely weigh. Since I’m nearly always expecting a package I had a hard time explaining the situation to them. The more I talked, the more I realized how shady I must have sounded.
Me: “Ummmmm, you see, I’m a food blogger. I work with brands who send me product then I promote it on my blog.”
Them (probably) : Suuuuuuuuuure. You’re a “food blogger” who works with “brands” who send you “product.” Sounds legit.
As soon as I said product the Mr. thought for sure I was going to jail.
In the end, the agents asked if they could bring the package to our house and have me open it in front of them just to confirm it wasn’t drugs…errr…”product”. They showed up later that afternoon, and with just a teensy bit of fear in my heart, I sliced open the packing tape and ripped open the box only to discover…
25 pounds of Dixie Crystals Sugar.
That’s right. It was sugar. Brown sugar. Powdered sugar. Cane sugar. Even cinnamon sugar.
As it turns out, the agents were incredibly nice guys and we all had a good laugh about it. They asked me a few more questions about this food blogging business, and before they left I gave them my card and promised to bring them some treats made with the “goods.”
Let me tell you guys, this Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake is THE GOODS.
I could not stop myself from eating it. Of course I had to have a slice warm out of the oven. Then one after the photo shoot. Then a little before dinner…and after dinner…and as a late night snack. Dare I say it’s…addictive?
This is coffee cake perfection. It’d make a lovely addition to your Easter brunch menu or you could serve it with a dollop of whipped cream for an elegant dessert. Lemony, sweet, fluffy, and packed with juicy blueberries, it screams SPRING IS HERE!
All of the #SundaySupper crew is screaming spring today with treats made with Dixie Crystals sugar. Trust me, these treats are so good, they should probably be illegal. (Alright, alright, I’m done with the puns…promise).
Be sure to check out all the great recipes, and while you’re at it, head on over to Dixie Crystals and give them a like on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram to get a steady stream of sugary goodness in your life!
Finally, if you’re a fellow blogger, you’re definitely going to want to check out Dixie Crystal’s Brownie Dessert Contest. Develop your own killer brownie dessert recipe, share it in a blog post, and you could win a $500 gift card plus a ticket to this year’s Food and Wine Conference. Head over to the contest page to find out more!
This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. As always, all opinions are my own.
Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 pint blueberries
For the topping
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 inch square baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the softened butter, milk, and egg to the bowl and beat until a smooth batter forms. There may still be some small lumps of butter. That's okay.
- Toss the blueberries with the 2 Tablespoons of flour then gently stir them into the batter along with the lemon zest. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- For the topping, combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Use two forks or a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture, working it in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbles. Sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 38-45 minutes or until cake is golden and lofted and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 575kcal Calories from fat 159|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 18g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Recipe by Neighborfood
I’ve included a few process photos for you below, but honestly, this is one of the easiest cakes you’ll ever make. Start with a mixing bowl or your electric mixer. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Add the softened butter, milk, and egg to the bowl and beat on medium speed until the batter begins to form. It might have small lumps of butter in it after being beaten. That’s okay.
Grab a lemon and use a grater or zester to add about 1/2 of the zest of the lemon to the bowl. This smells so good!
Finally, toss the blueberries with a few Tablespoons of flour then throw them into the batter (gently). Use a spatula or wooden spoon to gently fold the blueberries into the batter (you don’t want the blueberries to all bust!). Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
I completely forgot to take a picture of the crumb topping, but I promise it’s super simple. Whisk together all the dry ingredients then use your fingers or a pastry cutter to work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is in coarse little crumbles. Spread the crumble on top and bake!
Check out all my friend’s fabulous springtime treats!
- Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake by Neighborfood
- Butterscotch Chocolate Caramel Cookie Cups by The Messy Baker
- Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Meltaway Cookie Bars by Chocolate Moosey
- Flan in Moscato Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Fresh Strawberry Tartlets by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Bundt by In The Kitchen With KP
- Lemon Cornmeal Sandwich Cookies by girlichef
- Lemon Roulade by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lime Sugar Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust by Foxes Love Lemons
- Meyer Lemon Cheesecake Bars by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mixed Berry Crumble by The Dinner-Mom
- No-Bake Banana Split Dessert Cups by The Weekend Gourmet
- Poached Pear Bread by Momma’s Meals
- Springtime French Macarons by Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites by Supper For A Steal
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.