This Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup is my most favorite soup during the winter months. Packed with vegetables, spicy Italian sausage and tortellini in a rich red wine and tomato broth, it is absolute comfort food!
When I’m sick, cold, tired, grumpy or just plain hungry, there’s nothing I find more gratifying than a hot bowl of soup and sliced bread. Soup is an experience. From the calm, steady chopping of vegetables to the smells that waft through the house as the flavors simmer together on the stove top, soup engages all the senses. I love how the steam rushes up from the bowl as the soup is ladled into it, and, my favorite, how those hunks of crusty, chewy bread soak up the last few drops of savory broth. Yup, soup and bread is about as satisfying as it gets.
This soup is hearty and filling without being heavy. It’s loaded with vegetables, spicy Italian sausage, and cheesy tortellini all in an herby tomato, beef, and wine broth. Just. Awesome.
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Fragrant and satisfying, this soup is full of rich and hearty flavors thanks to spicy Italian sausage, tortellini, and vegetables.
- 1 lb. ground hot Italian sausage (or use mild if you prefer)
- 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup red wine (or you can substitute additional broth)
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 8 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, cook sausage over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain all but 1 Tablespoon of fat. Add onion and garlic to the pan and saute 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add broth, water, wine, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, basil, and oregano to pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and parsley and simmer for 10 minutes. Add tortellini and simmer an additional 5-8 minutes, or until tortellini is cooked through. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of parsley.