This Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup is my most favorite soup to make during the winter months. Packed with vegetables, Italian sausage and tortellini in a rich red wine and tomato broth, this tortellini soup with sausage is absolute comfort food!
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup for the Soul
When I’m sick, cold, tired, grumpy or just plain hungry, there’s nothing I find more gratifying than a hot bowl of soup and sliced bread.
Soup is an experience. From the calm, steady chopping of vegetables to the smells that waft through the house as the flavors simmer together on the stove top, soup engages all the senses.
I love how the steam rushes up from the bowl as the soup is ladled into it, and, my favorite, how those hunks of crusty, chewy bread soak up the last few drops of savory broth. Yup, soup and bread is about as satisfying as it gets.
My Favorite Tortellini Sausage Soup
This soup is hearty and filling without being heavy. It’s loaded with vegetables, spicy Italian sausage, and cheesy tortellini in an herby tomato, beef, and wine broth. The flavors of the sausage and herbed broth together are truly something special. I hope this will become a favorite of yours as well!
Time Saving Tips for Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- The veggies can all be chopped in advance, so all you need to do is throw them in the pot come dinner time.
- The vegetables and soup broth can all be cooked in advance then refrigerated until you’re ready to serve.
- Tortellini Soup with Sausage can also be frozen. Simply prepare the broth and veggies, allow the soup to cool, then freeze for up to 3 months. The soup can be defrosted overnight in the fridge or placed in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes.
- I always recommend refrigerating or freezing this soup without the tortellini. Before serving, return the soup to a boil and add the tortellini. This keeps the tortellini from getting soggy!
Luckily, most of the time for making Tortellini Soup is hands off, so you can do other things while the smell of garlic and wine and vegetables simmering together fills your home.
Hearty Italian Sausage Soup for a Crowd
More of my favorite Sausage and Tortellini Soup recipes!
- 1 lb. ground mild Italian sausage (or use hot if you prefer)
- 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup red wine (or you can substitute additional broth)
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, cook sausage over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain all but 1 Tablespoon of fat. Add onion and garlic to the pan and saute 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add broth, water, wine, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, basil, and oregano to pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and parsley and simmer for 10 minutes. Add tortellini and simmer an additional 5-8 minutes, or until tortellini is cooked through. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of parsley.
See instructions for making ahead and freezing in the post text.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 1430mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 22g