My weather forecast for the week is solidly in the mid-60s, and my menu forecast for the week is full of soup, roasted meats and veggies, and comforting one pot casseroles like this Cheesy One Pot Tortellini and Sausage.
Early fall is actually one of my favorite seasons to cook. The weather is cool, and though back to school season is busy, it also lends itself to a more regular schedule, with meals shared around the table instead of eaten on the fly in between sprinkler runs. And while my cravings start to turn towards sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts this time of year, I love that I can also still easily find fresh herbs and summer squash to add flavor and texture to my meals.
Fall is also when I most rely on one pot meals. When you spend the day hustling between school drop offs, errands, and extracurriculars, I know the last thing you want to do is hustle through dinner as well. One pot meals pull protein, carbs, and vegetables together in a single dish, so you don’t have to worry about juggling multiple pots, oven temperatures, or recipes. It means I can actually enjoy cooking and eating together with my family rather than dreading the race until bedtime.
This Cheesy One Pot Tortellini and Sausage pulls together the best of this season. It’s a hearty, filling meal that takes advantage of that late summer squash and fresh basil, while also embracing the warmth of a rich tomato sauce, cheese filled tortellini, spicy sausage, mushrooms, and greens. I already knew Italian sausage and tortellini and zucchini played nicely together (see Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup), but it was lovely to have this combo in a non-soup form.
I find skillet pasta dishes are great for camouflaging veggies I might otherwise have a hard time getting the little one to eat. In this version, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and spinach add flavor and nutrition to the dish without screaming “I’m a vegetable!” and scaring the little ones away.
Buitoni’s refrigerated tortellini and marinara sauce helps this recipe come together in less than 30 minutes in a single pot, making it the perfect meal for hectic weeknights. It can feed a crowd, so it’s also great for inviting guests or having leftovers for lunch throughout the week.
Research shows most Americans only meet the full MyPlate recommendations for vegetables, fruit, proteins, dairy and grains seven days out of the year. That’s why Nestlé has developed Balance Your Plate, an educational program designed to help you put together delicious and nutritious meals that incorporate both frozen and fresh foods.
This is what fall is all about–nourishing comfort food fit for a cool cloudy day. I hope you love this dish as much as my family does!
Be sure to check out Buitoni’s other refrigerated pastas and sauces in your grocery’s pasta aisle! From linguine to ravioli and pesto to alfredo, they have plenty of options for quick, kid friendly dinners.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 15 ounce can marinara sauce
- 20 ounces three cheese tortellini
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups low fat shredded mozzarella
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until starting to soften, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic. Add the mushrooms and zucchini and saute until softened, another 5-6 minutes. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the Italian sausage and cook until browned, stirring often. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth, and marinara sauce and bring to a boil. Gently stir in the tortellini, nestling into the liquid. Season with oregano. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until tortellini is tender and cooked through. Remove the mixture from heat and stir in spinach until wilted.
- Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle the skillet with cheese then place under the broiler for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown. Sprinkle with basil and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 597Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 1556mgFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 35g