Anybody else stuck in a lunchtime rut? Break free from the sandwich routine with this satisfying Tuna and Chickpea Salad.
This post was developed in partnership with StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® As always, all opinions are my own.
When I tell people I’m a food blogger, they usually assume I never struggle to come up with ideas for meals for my family. Although I wish I was a magic meal-making wizard, that just isn’t the case. Sometimes I get stuck making the same things over and over again, particularly when it comes to lunch.
We tend to stick to our tried and true favorites–peanut butter and jelly (sometimes grilled!), turkey avocado sandwiches, classic scrambled egg sandwiches, or, if we’re feeling particularly indulgent, grilled banana fluffernutters.
There’s nothing wrong with a good sandwich at lunchtime, but sometimes I want a lunch that doesn’t come between two slices of bread. That’s where this tuna chickpea salad comes in. It’s a fresh, naturally gluten free salad that’s easy to make and perfect for packed lunches!
Ingredients for Tuna and Chickpea Salad
Let’s start with the basics!
- Tuna- I prefer StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® Yellowfin Tuna, which is packed in cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil. The tuna has a mellow flavor and tender texture that makes it perfect for quick, easy to assemble recipes that require no additional cooking.
- Chickpeas- Any canned variety will do just fine. All you have to do is drain them and they’re ready to go!
From there, we add a slew of fresh veggies and herbs. You can add any veggies that sound good to you. My go-tos are:
- Bell peppers- I love the flavor of mini bell peppers, but any kind will do!
- Tomatoes– cherries or grape work perfectly.
- Herbs– I love chives, basil and dill!
Tuna Chickpea Salad Dressing
I love this simple lemon vinaigrette, with a hint of sweetness and garlic. I like to warm the vinaigrette, because it mellows out the garlic a bit, but feel free to just whisk together the following ingredients and pour them on!
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
How to Make Chickpea Tuna Salad – A Quick and Easy Lunch Recipe
This recipe is incredibly versatile and keeps very well, making it perfect for meal prep.
- To make the salad, toss together the tuna and chickpeas with all the vegetables and herbs.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette and stir into the salad.
- Allow the salad to sit for a few minutes or overnight so the flavors can meld together. Refrigerate until ready to serve!
How long does Chickpea and Tuna Salad keep?
This chickpea salad will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days, which makes it great for meal prepping and packed lunches. I actually think it’s better after it’s sat in the fridge for a day!
The salad can be served cold or at room temperature.
Variations on Chickpea Salad
There are so many ways to customize this Chickpea Tuna Salad to your liking!
- For creaminess, add avocado or feta cheese. The avocado tends to brown quickly, so I recommend adding it right before serving.
- For a portable meal, wrap up some tuna salad in a lettuce wrap or tortilla.
- Try grilling naan bread, sprinkling it with arugula, and topping it with two heaping spoonfuls of chickpea tuna salad. It’s super delicious and filling, and makes a great dinner, appetizer, or lunch!
- For a different flavor profile, try substituting some of StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® Yellowfin Tuna with Sun-dried Tomato or StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® Wild Caught Pink Salmon. Whichever one you choose, you’ll be getting seafood with a tender, meaty texture that’s NOT mushy. All of the StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® are also Keto, Paleo, and Mediterranean diet friendly, and a great source of Omega 3s.
If you’re looking for a great packable lunch salad, this Tuna Chickpea Salad is a winner. It keeps incredibly well, and the flavors just get better and better! It also makes a great light dinner or healthy salad to bring to a cookout or potluck. This is definitely one of those back-pocket recipes you’ll find yourself coming back to again and again.
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 1/2 cup each of chopped bell pepper, tomatoes, and cucumber
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (or chickpeas), drained
- 2 packages StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® Yellowfin Tuna
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, and garlic. Season to taste. The dressing can be used as is, or, if you prefer, you can heat it on the stove top over low heat for 3-5 minutes to blend the flavors and mellow the garlic.
- Toss together the vegetables, chickpeas, tuna, chives, basil, and dill in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over top and mix. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 15 minutes before serving. Salad can be stored in the fridge for up to four days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 7g
Please note nutritional information for my recipes is calculated by a third party service and provided as a courtesy to my readers. For the most accurate calculation, I always recommend running the numbers yourself with the specific products you use.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.®