This Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Pie is fluffy, light, and refreshing. Plus, it’s no bake and easy to make gluten free!
To me, it’s just not summer until I’ve had my first Lemonade Shake Up.
Do you know the ones I’m talking about?
Lemonade Shake Up trucks typically dot the streets of summer festivals and fairs, their counters filled with cups of whole lemons and sugar waiting to be shaken into a frenzy of sweet, puckery lemonade. The shake up truck is always the first thing I look for when we go to a festival. Strolling the streets of Columbus on a hot summer day, sipping lemonade, and perusing the arts and craft booths–that, my friends, is the definition of summer.
But you know what would make those lemonade shake ups even better? Strawberries. Because everyone knows the only thing better than a glass of ice cold lemonade is a glass of ice cold strawberry lemonade.
My obsession with this summer flavor inspired this easy, no-bake, Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Pie. This recipe is based off of an old family favorite–Frozen Strawberry Fluff. I absolutely adore this light, creamy frozen treat, but I’ve always been a little wary about serving it to guests because it contains raw eggs. That’s why I was absolutely thrilled to discover Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs, a line of pasteurized whole eggs that are perfectly safe to consume in their raw state.
Do you realize what this means? It means licking the beaters, munching on raw cookie dough, and making the creamiest Caesar dressing around. It means not worrying about whether my penchant for stealing bites of uncooked dough will eventually land me in the ER. Now if only these eggs could also protect me from gaining a pants size. Hey, a girl can dream right?
Anyway, I knew I wanted to use Davidson’s eggs to make this old favorite, but I wanted to create a new recipe that would embody everything I love about summer. The original recipe is dressed up with chocolate, but I wanted something a little lighter, something refreshing and sweet with a teensy sour punch. I wanted a pie that reminded me of my favorite summer drink, and this Strawberry Lemonade Pie fits the bill perfectly.
Let’s chat for a minute about how this goes down. It starts with an easy graham cracker crust. Butter, grahams, sugar. You can’t go wrong.
To make the filling, you first whip up the egg whites. You’ll start the beaters on medium low speed. After the first minute, you’ll squeeze in the juice of two lemons. Then you’ll crank the beaters up to high and let them whip around for a good five minutes before slowly adding the sugar. After about eight minutes total, you’ll be left with a smooth, fluffy, white cloud that looks something like this:
From there you’ll add the mostly-thawed frozen strawberries and let the beaters break them up into bite sized chunks. I like using frozen strawberries rather than fresh because they seem to distribute throughout the pie a little better. Plus, it gives the mixture this glorious pink color. Trust me, you’ll want to lick the beaters. And the best part is, it’s totally safe to do it!
The fluff mixture gets spread out over the graham cracker crust then frozen for at least 6 hours or overnight. The next day, this pie will be ethereally light and creamy. Cool and refreshing, the sweet strawberries and zesty lemon flavors literally melt on your tongue. I can’t think of a better way to end a hot summer night.
My #SundaySupper friends have come up with nineteen more no-bake summer treats using Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs. If you’d like to pick up a carton for yourself, check out their store locator, or learn more by connecting with them on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Davidson’s is also hosting a No Bake Summer Recipe Contest. A ticket to the Food and Wine Conference + a $500 gift card is on the line, so if you have a no-bake recipe to share, head on over to the contest page.
I hope you enjoy this cool, refreshing treat! Be sure to lick the beaters for me!
Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Pie
- 12 Tablespoons butter
- 24 whole graham crackers, crushed into tiny crumbs (or substitute 4 cups gluten free graham cracker crumbs)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Water, as needed
- 3 egg whites (I recommend Davidson's Safest Choice)
- Juice of 2 lemons (see note)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- 16 ounces frozen strawberries, mostly thawed
- For the crust, combine butter, crushed graham crackers, and ¼ cup sugar in a large bowl. Stir together until the mixture begins to adhere to itself. You should be able to pinch a small amount at a time and have it stick. If it doesn't, add a Tablespoon of water at a time until it does. Divide the graham cracker crumbs between two 9 inch pie plates, using your fingers to press the mixture evenly across the bottom and up the sides. Place the crusts in the freezer while you make the fillings.
- Place the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl. Use electric beaters or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment to beat the egg whites on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice. Beat on medium high speed for 4 minutes. The mixture will look foamy and limp. Add the sugar, a quarter cup at a time, beating on medium high speed for 1 minute after each addition. The eggs will take about 8 minutes total to whip up completely.
- Add the frozen strawberries and beat on medium speed until they're broken up and evenly distributed throughout the egg mixture. Fold in the whipped topping.
- Divide the strawberry mixture evenly between the two pie pans. Cover and freeze for at least six hours or overnight. To serve, drop the pie plate in an inch of hot water for about 30 seconds to help loosen the crust. Then slice and serve.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2129kcal Calories from fat 1013|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 113g||174%|
|Saturated Fat 62g||310%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||48%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Recipe by Neighborfood
This post is sponsored by the Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs. All opinions are my own.
No-Bake Savory Recipes:
- Asparagus Egg Salad by Family Foodie
- Buffalo Aioli by Alida’s Kitchen
- Chicken Caesar Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Deviled Egg Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Grilled Pizza with Egg, Arugula, and Balsamic by Ruffles & Truffles
- Huevos Rancheros by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Korean Rolled Omelette (Gaeran Mari) by kimchi MOM
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Casa de Crews
- Pizza for Breakfast! Waffles by Foxes Love Lemons
- Shrimp Salad with Lemon Basil Dressing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
No-Bake Sweet Recipes:
- Brownie Batter Truffles by Desserts Required
- Creamy Chocolate Blender Mousse by Shockingly Delicious
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Pie by Neighborfood
- “Funky Monkey” PB Ripple Chip Banana Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon and Strawberry Parfaits by Magnolia Days
- No Bake Cheesecake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Raspberry Lemon Meringue Waffles by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry Mousse by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Salted Caramel Pudding Cups by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Marshmallow S’mores by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.