These Pecan Pie Bars are a great way to get perfect, ooey gooey pecan pie in your face in no time! Even better, they can be made gluten free so everyone can enjoy!
Sometimes I want pie, but I don’t want the work of pie. You know what I mean? Either I don’t have the time to let the crust chill or I’m feeling too lazy for all that rolling and crimping nonsense. When that’s the case, I turn to these easy Pecan Pie Bars.
These little bites have been a staple at our family Thanksgiving and Christmas for years. Mom makes them in bulk, freezing them ahead of time so they can be pulled out just when they need them. They’ve even shown up under the tree a time or two, packaged up tight with a pretty bow on top.
When mom found out over six years ago that she would have to follow a strict gluten free diet, a lot of our favorite holiday treats were suddenly off the table. It took some time, but eventually we found some gluten free desserts that taste just as wonderful as their wheat laden counter parts. Luckily, these Pecan Pie Bars are one of those recipes. A simple swap of gluten free flour in the crust is all it takes to make these beauties gluten free, so everyone at your Thanksgiving table can enjoy them.
If you’re a fan of Pecan Pie, you’ll find these bars irresistible. It’s all the gooey, caramely, brown sugar and crunchy nut flavor you love in a dangerously easy to eat square. I can usually hold myself to eating a single piece of pie, but I can’t resist making return trips for these throughout the afternoon and evening. I slice myself a modest, skinny sliver then return for another innocent notch out of the pan. Then, of course, I have to even up the row, and take another slice. It’s a dangerous game, my friends. These bars are just the perfect pre-lunch, post dinner, before bedtime…okay let’s be honest, they’re the perfect anytime snack.
Make them ahead of all the holiday craziness, and you’ll have an amazing holiday treat ready to swoop in and steal the show.
Don’t forget the turkey! If the thought of roasting a whole turkey is overwhelming to you, check out my step by step recipe for easy Garlic and Herb Roasted Turkey. You can do it!
Pecan Pie Bars
- 2 cups all purpose flour (or sub an all purpose 1-1 gluten free flour)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light Karo
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in the chunks of butter with a pastry blender until fine crumbs begin to form. Press the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crust is very lightly browned.
- Combine brown sugar, Karo, and ½ cup butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring gently. Remove from heat. Put 1 cup of the hot mixture in a measuring cup. Slowly pour the hot mixture into the beaten eggs, whisking constantly. Add this to the remaining hot mixture. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Pour the filling over the crust and bake for 30-35 minutes or until set. Cool completely in the pan then cut into bars. Bars can be frozen or stored in an airtight container for 5 days.